Thread: What is a white king?

Default What is a white king?

My buddy says he caught one last night, but it was red. I took this to mean that it was probably about to die. And he should have thrown it back. But I have heard other people say that they are a rare king that has white meat.

Can anybody shed any light on this?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

FishNphysician will be by soon (I assume ) to give a good explanation about the genetics of white kings. The short version is that some kings do indeed have white meat and that many consider white kings to be a better, more delicate flavor. If your friend's king was in spawning colors on the outside, though, it's more likely that the meat was just faded (and mushy and not as tasty) instead of being a true white king. Do a search through the forums - there is some interesting info that has posted in the past.

Default White King

Quite tasty.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is NOT a white king.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon
    Don't confuse an ocean genetic white king with a fire engine red king that has been in the freshwater so long the meat has turned white.... different deal!
    What's shown in the picture is pale soft meat from a bleached out red king that's getting awfully close to it's final orgasm.

BTW here's the original thread about white kings:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...read.php?t=914
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default I know Shees that seem

like fat white king salmon...I had some shee just recently, & there was just a HUGE globular peice of fat around the belly, I almost thought it was some other type of tissue until I bit into it & it just MELTED in my mouth & was sweeter than prime rib fat!

Default spawning white kings...

since a white king by definition is a king that does not metabolize carotene into red pigment they do not turn red in spawning condition, more of a yellow-green blush.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default off topic, I know... 1000 humble pardons

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    like fat white king salmon...I had some shee just recently, & there was just a HUGE globular peice of fat around the belly, I almost thought it was some other type of tissue until I bit into it & it just MELTED in my mouth & was sweeter than prime rib fat!
    Hey gogo... I think you and I really think alike when it comes to eating fish!

The only problem is that we ever broke bread over the same table, we'd probably have to kill each other over the best "scraps" of the fish!

OK, back to the regularly scheduled program...
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Default Ivory Kings!

Here's a pic of the real deal.... pure white while still platinum bright!

The KeenEye MD

Do they still taste like salmon, or like other fish with white meat, like rockfish or halibut?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default IMHO They Are the Best Salmon

Duckslayer - You should go through the thread that the good DR. posted a link for you. The REAL white King (not the sorry stuff from a near-spent river salmon as was posted ) is a delicacy you will not soon forget! If you happen to catch one that has been dining on needlefish or capelin you will have a heck of a job just keeping your barbeque flames under control due to the oil running off the meat on the grill. I hope you get a chance to catch one of your own out on the salt. Good fishing! ;-)

In my humble opinion, it is the best tasting fish I have ever had. A rich, wonderful flavor and consistency. Kinda like a cross between halibut and salmon or something. At least that's how it was when I ate it.

Delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Do they still taste like salmon, or like other fish with white meat, like rockfish or halibut?

Default Dang...

They're real! I always thought in the back of my mind that they were like the snow snakes of Alaska...

Default white king

Here's one from a couple years ago. Ivory meat with a really good flavor. It was very mild with a lack of "fishyness or salmoness!"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by barleydog; 07-23-2008 at 06:21. Reason: picture

Default Rare white kings

we get em down here in Homer now and then as feeder kings. MMMM tasty. I heard a rumor this year that they mostly are from a river in Canada.

Default The Real White King

Looks like this!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by barleydog View Post
    Here's one from a couple years ago. Ivory meat with a really good flavor. It was very mild with a lack of "fishyness or salmoness!"
    Nice!

I caught one in the Skagit river in WA state years ago 44lbs that was marbled: White and Orange - BBQ'ed it for my dads 50th birthday, mmm good.

I also worked in a cannery in the late 1970's on the gut line, we used to get 3 to 6 white kings a week in Laconner Washington.

I agree the orig pic is not of a White King....

I've always wondered though - if Kings can be "white" has anyone ever found a "white" sockeye or silver?

Default put it to the test...

I've been kicking myself for not doing a blind taste test on the 4th of July, when I cooked both (red and white) on the BBQ. Properly cooked, any king is awesome...but have wondered if the difference is real or psychological...I was wondering if anyone could guess at which was white and/or which one they thought was better.

Has anyone tried to test it? It would be tough to keep everything exactly the same...cooking methods, done-ness and all...but I thought it would have been kind of fun to try.

Quote Originally Posted by DJW View Post
    we get em down here in Homer now and then as feeder kings. MMMM tasty. I heard a rumor this year that they mostly are from a river in Canada.
    I joined this fishing forum when i lived in B.C. and all the guys who owned boats would talk about this a fair bit. It seems like it was way more common around Vancouver Island.

I think, I may be wrong, but I think there was even a whole run where the majority of the Kings were white.

I know some of the guys said the taste was different but I dont know.

Coke or pepsi?
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    I know some of the guys said the taste was different but I dont know.

Coke or pepsi?

I can't tell the difference. They taste like salmon to me.