Thread: where to buy used shotgun?

Anchorage, Alaska, United States, 106199619411091, Anchorage, Alaska

I was wondering which of the many gun shops in Anchorage would be my best bet for finding a decent quality used 20 gauge shotgun for grouse/ptarmigan hunting? Someplace with good selection, knowledgible/helpful sales staff, etc. This is my first ever firearm purchase ... would be interested to hear which shops people on this board recommend and conversely, which to avoid ... thanks!

Default Pawn Shop

Quote Originally Posted by bartw1069 View Post
    I was wondering which of the many gun shops in Anchorage would be my best bet for finding a decent quality used 20 gauge shotgun for grouse/ptarmigan hunting? Someplace with good selection, knowledgible/helpful sales staff, etc. This is my first ever firearm purchase ... would be interested to hear which shops people on this board recommend and conversely, which to avoid ... thanks!
    I would grab the phone book and take a look at some pawn shops for some value.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Drive out to Boondocks in Eagle River. Their staff is very knowledgable, helpful, and fun to talk to. They have a pretty decent selection of used guns at most times, and if they don't have exactly what you need they'll at least get you headed in the right direction.

bart-
    I'll second Brian's post of Boondock's in ER. You may also want to try Great Northern (off Tudor) or Gun Traders (Muldoon). 20's are a little thin on the ground, but they show up from time to time.

-Klaus

I know you said you wanted used but you might want to consider a new H&R. Very inexpensive and a great first gun.

Anchorage, Alaska, United States, 106199619411091, Anchorage, Alaska

Guys, thanks for the advice. I'll check out those shops and the H&R guns recommended by flyfast ...

Try here:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...splay.php?f=28

Guns posted daily, and you can always ask if anyone has a used 20 gauge there looking to get rid of.

Default Not many

Quote Originally Posted by klausg View Post
    bart-
    I'll second Brian's post of Boondock's in ER. You may also want to try Great Northern (off Tudor) or Gun Traders (Muldoon). 20's are a little thin on the ground, but they show up from time to time.
    -Klaus
    I would have mentioned Boondocks however I live in Eagle River and stop by at least 4 times a week ( yesterday Got a Glock 20) and the selection is thin. I see you are from Anchorage where I work and do the gun store runs there as well ( Guy can't have enough weapons). Pawn shops have a good turn over and you might find one there a little quicker than checking all the gun store as my experiance shows.
    Might want to try Ammo King on Boniface ( Another multi week stop) as they have used firearms as well. You got to know what to look for in all of these places as they are used and I have seen my share of abused firearms that are good for nothing but parts or sitting on the wall.
    I visit these places as well as both ranges and will keep my eye out, but as posted good 20's are rare find. You don't mention what exactly you are looking for but might want to save time and fuel and look into a new firearm. A lot of places do the lay away ( My Favorite) and you would be able to get what you desire instead of what you found.
    My 2 Pennies
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

I stopped by a couple pawn shops today and saw several 20 guage and a couple 410's on the shelves. Price ranged from 90 bucks for a single shot to just under 200.

Was interesting to note that the .410's were priced higher than the 20's. I almost picked up a .22 while there. Same model as the gun I first learned to shoot with. Have not seen one in years. If it is still there on payday I may have to pick it up.

Smile Used Guns

Quote Originally Posted by bartw1069 View Post
    Here is some info that you might find useful. Bill http://www.chuckhawks.com/used_shotgun.htm
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

If I were you, I'd check Great Northern. Jeff is a strait forward guy