Thread: Sheep Questions

Default Sheep Questions

I'll start with my first one - and work up from there....

1) What do you do for water when you are hunting sheep - it seems that up high there won't be much agua to satisfy the thirst. I am used to hunting elk - in wet areas - no problem with getting some High Quality H2O with my filter. When hunting hard for elk I will drink about 100-160 ounces of water a day - I am pretty sure that I won't want to carry that much water on a sheep hunt....

Default Water

I guess it depends on where you are. My first sheep hunt, we found water everywhere on the mountain. This year the place i'm going doesn't have reliable water. Luckily it is off the road system, so i can combine scouting and prepositioning a couple collapsable water containers.

My two sheep hunts have had plenty of water to be found. I carry a Katadyne filter.

Default Sheep hunt

The area i sheep hunt has a ton of glacial rivers and smaller run off rivers. I use a sweet water filter and have never had problems. usually there is no porblem findg a fresh water supply in the mountians.

Default Guess..

..that location will decide on water needs. I had a sweetwater filter - burned it after it failed me on 2 trips (had to drink chlorine/bleach treated nastywater). I have a katadyne now that I really like.

2) Can you find locations to pitch a tarp that has something to anchor the tarp to the ground? Is a tarp sufficient for sheep hunting? I have a lightweight silnylon 10x10 with beaks (I added the beaks) - it encloses pretty good, but not tight like a 1 or 2 man tent. I have heard that sometimes you cannot even find rocks to tie a tarp to....that seems a bit far fetched to me. I usually use my hiking pole(s) and small stakes to anchor the tarp.

for all my hunts i have tried to camp close to highest Water and hike daily from there to hunt. Then i have water for cooking and do not need to search for it for at end of day. before i had filter, 25+ years ago, Had very dry year and got water next to glacier( was hour hike to it) until we found seep in glacier moraine that was clear......not flowing. lucked out and never got sick.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Top off whenever the opportunity presents!

I think the biggest thing I learned is don't pass up any water unless you are sure you have a source ahead. It really sucks having to lose thousands of feet of hard fought altitude because you didn't top off at that creek you crossed earlier! On my last trip scouting my failure to attend to my water caused me to not reach the vantage point that was my goal for the trip. I ran out and didn't think it would bee safe to continue without some assurance that there was water ahead and there just wasn't enough time to get back down, get water and then get back up. That got me thinking about how dissapointed I would be if it was my one good opportunity on a stalk and I had to turn back...

Silly question maybe, but are you looking at sheep hunting in Colorado or here?
    If it's here, your required guide will probably have the water situation in hand.
    Personally I use a Sweetwater filter (never let me down in 15 yrs of use) & agree with the others. Keep what's on you full (hydration bag in my pack for me). Circumstances will dictate the rest.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default My required guide

will be me, myself and I - NEXT YEAR after I have met the residency requirements. I will be getting acquainted with the regulations and mapwork this winter. My wife and my uncle will probably go with me on the trip and we will plan a few scouting trips depending on where we decide to go. Thinking about the haul road maybe - and we have some mountains near moose camp that hold sheep - but haven't scouted them yet so that is on the menu.

I can't draw a tag in colorado if my life depended on it.....LOL - and I only tried a couple years - I hear tell Dahl is tastier than bighorn - had some bighorn last year and loved it...it was a Montana 'horn that my uncle finally drew a tag for after 30 years applying.

I am just starting my learning curve - haven't started getting in shape yet......scouting trips have usually been enough for me when looking for elk - but this might be harder...though I have gotten into some tough areas looking for elk - at 12,500 feet and 7 miles to basecamp backpack hikes (only 3500 foot elevation gain though .

I really want to do this with my bow....I bet that is challenging. Looking at some rams down on the penninsula - makes me wonder how you folks even climb up the side of the mountain to get above them????

I assume that you are in AK right now? If so then that is what is throwing people off since your profile location says Denver. If you are in AK where are you located?

Default Need to change my profile

just haven't done it.

I am in anchorage - moved here on May 19th.

Quit my job, rented out my house, started a new business, jumped on a plane - been a busy summer - - but I have managed to do some fishing.

Going to be a busier winter at work - but will make some time to figure out the rules and regs and find some spots for scouting next summer.....with all the fishing it will be hard to go scouting - but ya got to do what ya got to do!

Now to get the lab on some ptarmagain.............hmmmm.

Default There

I changed it to Anchorage.

Default Okay

on to the next question....

With the wonderful wet summer we have been having - what kind of rain gear do you guys take up the mountain with you? Might need snow gear this year.

I have used cabelas dry plus in the past - but it gets wet so does their MT50 gear - but I can't imagine hauling rubber rain gear up the mountain - ??

I am taking Helly Hansen Impertech which is stretchy rubber for lack of a better term. it is not as heavy as the fishermans rubber gear but certainly not as light as some ot the expensive REI breathable stuff. I also picked up a Columbia rain pant that is similar material at Freds for $27 it is pretty light but durability is unknown. I got my wife the matching Columbia jacket for $30 so we will see how it holds up. For my pants I have Sitka mountain pant with a DWR coating and they dry quickly so I am not to worried about getting them a little bit wet if the cheap pants fail. Good luck and if you have the Video Black Shale, White Sheep Impertech is the jacket that Rick French wears

Default Thanks

I don't have that video - but I will see if AOD sells it and get it on order - I have a gillion hunting vids - but most are for lower 48 elk, ducks, geese, turks - some AK stuff tho - mostly moose since that is all that I have chased here.

On my moose hunt several years back we flew in my kifaru tipi - we had wood and a stove - it rained and snowed on us for 10 days, but we were able to dry everything out at night - for the most part anyway. Without wood heat - and sleeping in a bivy bag or maybe a silnylon tarp - there will be no drying out - - unless I can find sheep where there is also wood - then I would backpack the tipi in as a base camp - but at 18 pounds with stove - I ain't takin it more than 10 miles (and that depends on the terrain) - it would work for a base camp and would be worth it as a place to come back to if things went bad.

I didn't realize that the impertech (was checking it out in cabelas) was flexible materials - I assume that it doesn't breath - I will have to re-check it out. With this spring (ya - summer) here I can see needing some good raingear - better than what I have. I have a wool custom archery coat - but it is heavy, I have also used dry-plus in a rain suede that I really like, and we have some mt-50 an some cheaper cabelas coats - and some military goretex....all of them get wet. The problem that I see with rubber is that it doesn't breath and is heavy - so you get wet from sweat on the inside and the material gets wet on the outside - but you don't have the freezing rain hitting you.

Thanks again!

Default Next:

Question:

Sleeping bags - is everyone using wiggies?

I have some good down bags that I have used a lot elk hunting, they pack up good and are very light and rated for 0. I always use a fleece liner. If the wife goes with we zip the bags together and sometimes the liners too - the combined body heat has kept us warm in cold wet weather....but these were not extended trips.

I am worried about the down getting wet and staying wet and useless - not good. I also usually sleep in my military polypro - the brown stuff - it really helps with the cold rating while sleeping.

So - down or synthetic.

Wiggies is great gear and they have a bag that is ligter that is I believe lighter than the ultralite It is named after a mountain but can't remember what the name is for sure. I think that my NF cats meow packs a bit smaller than the wiggies and is just a few $$ cheaper. Check them out and see which you are more comfortable in! I have wiggies gear for my winter snogo camping. Wiggies is made in the USA and the NF is made in CHINA in case human rights matters at al to you...

Default I do

try to buy american - but there is a breaking point for everything.

Is your kitty down?

I do like my down - zero bags at just over a pound...

Do you use a bivy bag? Tarp? Tent?