Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jim Creek

Default Jim Creek

Any reports on Silvers at Jim Creek yet?

Default Jim Creek

Was down there yesterday; still more folks than fish but saw several nice silvers and a few reds taken.

Good Luck,
    Rich

Default still slow

Fished there yesterday for about four hours. Saw a few fish caught here and there but nothing worth while. Must have been 60+ people fishing. Of those that were caught, I would say 75% of them were snagged. Not all released as usual.

How do you get to Jim Creek?
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    How do you get to Jim Creek?
    Go north on the Glenn Highway from Anchorage toward Palmer and Wasilla. Take a right onto the Old Glenn. Stay on the Old Glenn past the Eklutna Tailrace (or stop and check it out for silvers), cross the Knik River. Take a right on the road to the racetrack, which is Sullivan. go past the raceway and take the third little 4 wheel drive trail to the right. There'll be a gravelish parking area off to your left if you turn on the correct trail. Follow the trail that looks most travelled. It's rough, but passable; will probably be a bit muddy with all this rain. when you come out of the trees, follow the tril to the right and before too long you'll see where everyone's fishing.

And if Soda only needs a silver and a pink, Soda should mebbe think about Bird Creek or maybe the mouth of Willow or Montana Creek for both. Jim Creek can provide reds and silvers, but no pinks.

Default old glen

Take the old glen highway exit - right after the eklutna exit (I think) you need or at least should have a 4x4 - look at a map - but basically when you get to the general store in Butte then take a right - follow the road around until you get to the second pull off - there is a road down to the Knik river - and you can drive about anywhere - go up towards the glacier a little bit - fish the seam between the fresh water of Jim and the Silty Knik.

you could camp anywhere in there that you want I think.

thanks again guys.

karl sent you a pm

Default I was on the creek today

I was there for about 5 hrs. and saw dozens landed. hooked 5 myself but landed none. I'll be there again tomorrow hopefully from about 8am till limit

Default sodabiscuit12345

Follow akroadkills directions BUT at the end go LEFT not right. You go right you will either end up in the woods or in knik. Or ask someone on a 4 wheeler and see if they can show you the way.

OOPs, yeah, when you come out of the trees follow the trail LEFT...sorry 'bout that.

Thanks for settin' him straight, Bruinman

Default No!

Go right.... Hahaha!

Default soda

Hey sodabiscuit, If you want to we can meet at freddy's ineagle river and you can follow me to jim creek. Upto you, let me know Thx chris

Mark

Today's Anchorage Daily News:

The weather's been lousy, and the king salmon took a pass on many Mat-Su streams this year. But Valley fishaholics can hold out hope for tight lines without making the long drive to Glennallen or the Kenai.

The silver, or coho, salmon run is off to one of its best starts ever. It's still early and biologists are wary of making grandiose predictions, but they're crossing their fingers.

"You can't get too excited ... but it's definitely looking good across our area right now," Palmer-based state fisheries biologist Sam Ivey said Monday.

Among the signs for excitement in what has otherwise been a ho-hum salmon fishing year are:........

......At Jim Creek, a popular fishing spot off the Knik River east of Palmer, the bite has also been on, with the constant buzzing of four-wheelers and dirt bikes frequently interrupted this weekend by shouts of "Fish on!"

Chuck Brazil, a sportfisheries biologist from Anchorage, was among those who ventured down the twisting, bumpy muddy path that passes for a road to the creek.

While the drone of four-by-fours churning through mud puddles and up and down sand dunes can be distracting, Brazil had no complaints about the frequent bend in his rod and helping his 3-year-old daughter catch her first salmon.

"She was so excited," he said.

Watching through polarized glasses, Brazil said he saw silvers in one hole stacked five to 10 fish across and two deep.

"There was a lot of fish," he said.......

Quote Originally Posted by bruinman View Post
    Hey sodabiscuit, If you want to we can meet at freddy's ineagle river and you can follow me to jim creek. Upto you, let me know Thx chris
    Hey thanks man!

I just sent you a pm. you can email me too.

joehorng79@gmail.com

thanks

I have fished Jim Creek 5 days out of the last 7. Sunday evening was the best day so far. Plenty of fish. Monday and Tuesday not nearly as many fish and a lot more people. While there are fish in Jim Creek. The last two seasons have been far better for the number of fish this early. The water level is low and can be fished without waders if people would stop standing in the channel with the fish. Which Sunday night hardly anyone was standing in water over their ankles. I saw several hook ups literally at peoples feet. My assessment is not as wonderful as the reporter from the Anchorage Daily News. However, fish are there, but not as many as there have been in the past.

I fished the mouth saturda and sunday night. We were the last ones there sunday night and my wife limited. My 6 y/o hooked up a few times and I lost enough to limit a dozen times over but only landed one. About 1am the fish moved out of the channel and started running the flats. I hopped that they would settle back into the channel Monday morning but they did't and it appears that a large group must have moved up the river. Hopefully we will get a big push soon cause I am starting this years fish smoking marathon as of last night! I got about 10lbs in brine now and would like about 30-40 more.

My oldest son fishing with my 9' silver rod he hooked up 3 or 4 times on his own but they managed to spit the hook. He did land mine for me though. About 1am we were surounded by fish alone on the river, and he paused for a moment looked at me and with a huge grin said "Dad you are the greatest Dad ever!" I left him alone to fish in his own world and watched from the fire on the shore. He fished alone for 1/2 an hour before a school of 100 or so fish ripped across the shallows he was standing in nearly knocking him over! What a site and a memory I hope he holds onto forever!

Middle son Xander with his first silver. He isn't quite big enough to swing the big rods yet but he spent a bunch of time in the shallows with a kids rod and despite hauling a gallon of water in each wader he had a smile only slightly obscured by a thick layer of dirt! He landed my wifes first hookup.

Default should be there tomorrow...

I should be there tomorrow with my girlfriend.

Stop me and say hi if you see me.
    Filipino guy with a dutch girlfriend...she'll probably be reading though

(there is a post called 'sodabiscuit and the sockeyes' that brianM posted a few weeks back with some pics)

Maybe Ill fish with a few of you guys tomorrow.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    .......About 1am we were surounded by fish alone on the river, and he paused for a moment looked at me and with a huge grin said "Dad you are the greatest Dad ever!" I left him alone to fish in his own world and watched from the fire on the shore. He fished alone for 1/2 an hour before a school of 100 or so fish ripped across the shallows he was standing in nearly knocking him over! What a site and a memory I hope he holds onto forever!.....

......Middle son Xander with his first silver. He isn't quite big enough to swing the big rods yet but he spent a bunch of time in the shallows with a kids rod and despite hauling a gallon of water in each wader he had a smile only slightly obscured by a thick layer of dirt! He landed my wifes first hookup.
    The photos and story are great! A photo of a small boy with a fish, smile, and mud flecks on his face are what it's all about!

was out last night from about 8pm-10:30pm both my brother and I limited. Was using a pink #4 vibrax. Things died down for a while and I switched to a corkie and some eggs and first drift hooked a 10# silver. There were about 60+ people there. Was not hot but enough to keep me there.

Nice pics Lujon!
    From what I've seen there every year, the peak of the run is always the 1st week of august.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast