Thread: 1998 Skidoo Skandic 380?

Question 1998 Skidoo Skandic 380?

i do not know if any of you snowmachine types check this forum this time of year (i doubt you do!), but I finally found what looks like a good used machine and i wanted a few opinions from those with more experience.

this will be my first machine. i have ridden several times before just for fun, but never owned. i plan to use it mainly for trail riding to access lakes/cabins and such. no high-marking or fast riding. Probably will put less than 100 miles per year on it.

this is a fan-cooled machine and the seller is asking high book for it.

any opinions?

It would probably be a great machine if you are not too large. It will be significantly better if it is a long track, however, the 380 runs out of power even quicker pulling a long track. Thoose older fan cooled Rotax engines are highly reliable, you will love the gas mileage.

Trail riding will be fine with that machine. How much is it? The Skandic is technically a long track machine even though there are a lot longer ones out there. The 380 has noticeably more get up and go than the other brands 340's. I prefer the 500, but it should be a good first sled for you. Lots of trappers use and abuse them every year.

Default HH, to answer your question,

the seller, who is also the original owner, wants $1500 for it but is also throwing in a tow-behind sled and helmet. it has about 1500 miles on it.

Default take it

I'd take it, but I'd try to work him down first. A sale with no haggling isn't fun

Default looking

I am also in the same position, and am looking for a little advice. I am looking to buy a used sled, something a little newer than the above mentioned around the $3000 range. It would be my first sled but am not really sure what to look for. Have done some riding before but never owned. Am not interested in racing or getting crazy just an all around sled something for trail riding, to get me to ice fishing and in and out of the cabin. Do plan to do some off trail riding but nothing too serious. Not looking for specific brands as im sure everyone has their own opinion on what is best but just some idea on size models etc any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

just to follow-up, i bought the skandic 380 today. it seemed like a fair price for a machine that has been very well taken care of and should last many more years w/o major maintenance.

guys, thanks for the input.

geoff156, good luck with your search.

Default My opinion...

Just thought I'd weigh in on this thread, too!
    I think the Skandic is a great sled and the 380 is a great motor. I own 2 of them and they are peppy and handle the high altitude at Hatcher's Pass just fine. I think you got a good deal on your sled.
    My own machine is a 2004 Polaris 700RMK Vertical Edge with the 144" x 2" paddle track.
    My wife rides a Polaris 550 Trail with ACCS and 1 1/2" x 121" track.
    As far as suggesting a sled for $3000, you need to decide what kind of rider you are. In fact. no offense, but you probably would be better off saving some of your money and buying a $2000 sled this fall and finding out what kind of rider you are. I would look for:
    * at least 1 1/2" paddles on your track
    * at least a 500cc motor
    * altitude compensation (like Polaris ACCS)
    * reverse, preferably electronic reverse
    * of course hot grips and thumb
    * one up seat as the 2up sleds are hogs and handle poorly.
    Good luck guys, and hope to see you out at Big Lake trails.