Thread: Big game hunt ideas needed, 8/29-9/1.

Default Big game hunt ideas needed, 8/29-9/1.

Ok I need some ideas, now that I know better than to ask for the easiest hunt . I have 4 days at the end of August/ beginning of Sept. in which I would like to go after big game of some sort.

I have a four wheeler, and a 10' inflatable/motor.

A walk in is feasible too.

I am a resident living in the Valley.

Any ideas? Thanks...... HH

Default Bears

While I'm not a resident and have only a little fall bear hunting experience I would think a bear hunt is probably your best bet.

If it were me, I would call the local biologist at AKF&G in an area and see what he/she had to say.

I can't hunt Unit 13 but I know there are lots of trails that can be used by ATVs, caribou is by permit, and moose doesn't start until Sept. 1. You might have a lot of space to yourself.

If you want to travel further, there are trails off the Steese highway. I recommended a float there a few years ago to a resident of Soldotna and after the hunt was over he sent me a nice picture of the brown bear he shot.

Thanks Phil, those are some great ideas.

That is a fabulous moose you have there.

What unit did it come from?

The bear idea is sounding more and more likely, as its early for moose in most areas. HH

Carribou on the North Slope. Plus Brown Bear is open after the 5 Mile hike. That is usually a good time of the year up there. Plus with the way the weather has been, bring warm clothes.

Good Luck

You could float one of the valley rivers for moose with your inflatable. Little Su from the highway to Burma landing as an example. Make a couple camps and hunt along the way.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default To Harry Hyde & jkb

jkb - I love your "sign off" What a great way to express what life should be - especially since I'm about to turn 74.

Harry - that moose (61 inches with a broken tine) came from a float on the John River. We floated from Gates of the Arctic National Park to just below Bettles (I think it's the Koyukuk River). In fact, Sourdough Outfitters arranged the entire trip (with our own gear). My buddy (a resident) blew a decent ram with his muzzle loader and then, after 6 days of seeing no moose, I got a chance for that one. It's the moose I refer to in the thread "Moose in the water". I shot him while he was still standing in 12 inches of an oxbow lake.

BTW, if you ever do this hunt, forget the "line your raft upstream" to Bettles and just have someone with a jetboat tow you. We did and I'm VERY glad.

Harry - this could be a great hunt but moose season is later than your time frame. Caribou don't appear around there until winter.
    Last edited by Phil; 07-23-2008 at 05:54. Reason: wrong river name

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default why not a sheep hunt?

sheep season opens the 10th of aug and runs until mid sept for most of the state as do the steece hwy caribou hunts.. taylor hwy caribou will close hours after opening. a good walk in for sheep is down around chitna. and you can 4 wheel in to the wood river area from healy creek up by denali park. there are a lot of sheep in those hills... i have not hunted those herds but hear there are several good rams each year taken

Run down to Cooper Lake with yor inflatable and go after black bears, berries should be out by then and so will the bears.

I'd go with the advice of looking for a black bear, for some reason, right around the 1st of September the bears are crawling everywhere, extremely active.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Good ideas.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Been away from the computer for a few days dipnetting .
    Vince, I would love to go sheep hunting, but I'm not sure I have enough time. PM sent to you...thanks.
    AkHunter45, pike palace, I had thought of black bears too. At Cooper Lake in particular if a guy killed one right away he could just go fishing for a few days, what with the Russian River, etc. close at hand.
    Phil, PM sent to you too. HH

Yep and you could pick some blueberries as well. It could be a very productive hunt in more ways than one!

AkHunter45, I wonder what the meat quality would be like in that place and time? You would think they would have been on the salmon, which wouldn't be good. Does anyone have any experience with this? I sure would like to save the meat if possible.
    Most likely the hide will not be all that great...

I think you would notice pretty much right away if the meat is any good or not by their smell. Don't know if the bears in that area go after the salmon or not but once they start gorging themselves on berries it might be enough to flush them out. Hopefully someone has a better answer for you.

Yeah I have heard you can go by the smell of the meat.

For sure the brown bears eat salmon on the Russian, I don't know if the blackies have the salmon habit in that area or not.

Anyone taken a late Aug. blackie from the area?