Thread: UKC vs AKC

Default UKC vs AKC

Are AKC dogs better bred than UKC dogs? What are the differences between the 2. I am in the market for a new lab and want a well bred dog to do field trial/hunting work with. Can I go wrong selecting one over the other? I want to support breeders that have the welfare of the breed in their minds when they produce a litter, not money makers.

Hi Arky.
    You will find both good and poor breeders in each group. AKC has their own hunt Tests. The UKC tests are put on by the Hunting Retriever Club.
    There are AKC Hunt Tests in Anchorage and Fairbanks. HRC Hunts are in Fairbanks (really North Pole).

If you are interested in someone who is looking out for the welfare of the breed, then look for breeding dogs with hunt test or field trial titles and health clearances. The hunt test dogs will probably be more reasonably priced, but that isn't true in all cases.

If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default AKC Vs UKC

I agree with LFT. No one is watching the breeding, only the paper work in either club. UKC recognizes a lot of southern bred dogs speciazed in boar, fox, and varment hunting as well as mixed breeds in some form.
    AKC was founded on conformation and the working titles came later. AKC is the gold standard for breed recognition. UKC registration alone will not get you into an AKC trial or event. AKC registration papers will get you into any other club with registration in that club.

I would probably not pay for a UKC only registered pup. Partly habit but mostly I'd wonder what the problem is for not registering AKC.

www.alaskadognews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    I would probably not pay for a UKC only registered pup. Partly habit but mostly I'd wonder what the problem is for not registering AKC.
    Good point Linda. Mine are dual registered.
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson