Thread: Caught my first halibut out of Whittier!

Cool Caught my first halibut out of Whittier!

Granted I have not spent a lot of time in Whittier chasing halibut, usually its the silvers, but this weekend I finally caught my first one. At about 20 lbs I am not going to win any derbies anytime soon. Trying to hold the pole and gaff it at the same time was a little interesting because he was a head shaker.

The shrimp continue to elude me. The pot I put out by pigot was cleaned out of bait but no shrimp to be found. The one I had out by Applegate Island had a whopping 3 shrimp in them. Since I give all of the shrimp to my folks I was little embarassed to give them only 3 but they were happy none the less. I only used herring as bait, anyone have advice as to what works for them?

Caught one chum salmon near the end of culross and saw a lot of jumpers but no sign of the silvers yet.

Steve

Hang a whole salmon carcass and a jar of shimp pellets in your pots. Try and drop your pots over rock bottom as opposed to a mud.
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 07-22-2008 at 15:17. Reason: spelling

Congrats!

One of these days I'll get one out of the sound (there was a ping pong paddle sized one a few years back, but I can't count a fish I didn't keep)

As to shrimp, I've only dropped once and ended up with a dozen in two pots. I think it's more location than anything else. I have a spot I've been wanting to try, after pulling up yellow eyes that were spitting shrimp, but haven't had a chance this summer.

Default Illegal

Quote Originally Posted by Steelieguy View Post
    Hang a whole salmon carcass and a jar of shimp pellets in your pots. Try and drop your pots over rock bottom as opposed to a mud.
    That would be illegal. You must fillet the fish first on sport caught salmon.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    That would be illegal. You must fillet the fish first on sport caught salmon.
    I think that's what he meant by carcass Dave.
    At least that's the way I took it.

Thanks for the input guys. Someone else mentioned salmon heads too. I am little nervous about trying new spots as I lost a whole two pot set up last year south of culross because I think it slid off the hill and floated away into the night as it was no where to be found when I got up the next morning.

Steve

Herring will work fine for bait if there are shrimp present, but a filleted carcass will add more scent if you've got one handy. As for new spots, try them earlier in the day and sit and watch your buoy for a few hours to make sure it doesn't float away. Additionally, always use at least an extra 100' of rope. Too many folks try to save a few bucks on rope, but in the end it costs a lot more to replace pots and buoys as well. New spots may eventually be the ticket to you finding the shrimp. Pigot gets hit hard, and I'm sure Applegate does as well. Set in 450-600' of water near rocky dropoffs, load your pots with bait, and enjoy the success!

Steve,

sent you a PM