Thread: good boat work in anch?

Default good boat work in anch?

Hi all! Hey is there a good place to fix things on a powerboat here in anchorage that anyone feels like recomending? I have an old sylvan I/O and my gas gauges won't work. I had the boat brought up from Ohio. ((yah I know.....crazy) and had it worked on before it came up. Apperently they worked then, but before that would go out and then work again. Up here running out of fuel COULD kill you so I'm worried about it.

I'd most likely winterize my boat there too when I do that.

Thanks for the help.

Mark

Odie's Marine Services: 333-0241

Considering that even when they are working fuel gauges aren't that accurate, I'd suggest investing in a Lowrance LMV-400, with a fuel flow meter. You program it for the size of your tank, and it tells you how much you have left in the tank based on how much fuel is flowing to your engine. The best benefit is an accurate fuel burn rate so you can tweak your throttle setting for peak efficiency/range.

Default thanks

Thanks Mark and Paul! appreciate the help. I'm still trying to work the bugs out. It's not a very nice boat, but it's mine now.

Paul that's a good idea. I have a garmin chart/gps and I think it can do that. I'd still worry about tides messing it up as I might burn more fuel than what it's supposed to if I'm pushing water. Still as long as I was cautious........ I got a pm too on a mechanic. Thank you for the help!

Default Fuel management

My fuel guages suck, and even though I intend to fix them, I will never rely on them. I am too cheap to buy a fuel flow meter, and I don't really care to have that break in five years either. Take a six gallon tank and plum it into your fuel pump, load the boat to as much as you care to take with you, drive out into as heavy sea as you care to run, on an incoming tide with a headwind, and use a gps to calculate how far you make it before you are down to no fuel in your see-through six gallon tank. Take the number of miles, divide it by six and you have your worst case scenerio fuel burn. Then, plan your trips well take 1/3 fuel for the trip out and playing around, 1/3 for the trip back, and 1/3 for safety and you will never run out of fuel.

Chris

Default Cool

Thats sounds do-able too. I got a very helpful pm about how the GPS/chart can't really do mpg unless heavily modified. Since the fuel guages have been fixed 2 times now and still dont' work, maybe it's just that the boat is old. (91). Still seaworthy, but I might never get that fuel guage to work. I'm still going to get it checked out when I winterize, and want any/all good places to do so. I like that idea. So far I've never run through both tanks. I went out of Homer, fished around those islands right across the bay, then ran to Soldovia point and back. I ran out of gas in the one tank when I got back to the Homer boat ramp. So I think I can get 10-15 miles off each tank, and each tank is 13 gallons. Does that sound right?

I really appreciate the help. As anyone can tell from my posts.......well I'm no mechanic, nor an experienced boat owner. I've BOATED my whole life, but owning one is a different story all together. Heck I read my stuff and wonder what I'm thinking sometimes.

So once again Thanks!! Some great ideas above and they are appreciated.