Thread: Parks Highway Streams?

Default Parks Highway Streams?

Has anyone been up to the Parks highway streams recently? Just wondering if there are any fish (pinks, chums, reds, silvers) in catchable numbers. I am taking some family members camping and it would be nice to catch a few salmon on the way. Anyways any reports would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone has done the Denali highway recently any reports on roads conditions or anything else would be great?

Jake

Fish are in at sheep creek. Caught a limit if silvers last sat and sun along with 1 pink and a few chums. Also had several other silvers on.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Default Denali Hwy...

Fresh layer of blacktop 4 lanes wide , a Star Bucks at every exit .

(by 4 lane black top I mean 1 1/2 lane dirt)

I was up there 2 weeks ago , as smooth as a dirt road can be , didn't see any motorhomes , cought a few greyling in Clear Water creek , donated a pint of blood, bought my first tank of $5 per gallon gas , put 1600 miles on a chevy cobalt and got 33mpg. Had a blast.

Bring what you need , leave footprints

Cool huh?

Candyman.. what u smokin???

Question

Is sheep a weekend-only fishery all year long? Or does it revert to all-week just like Willow??

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Default Denali Highway

I was up there over the weekend and the "highway" was it's typical self. It's never that smooth. If you're going up in a motorhome, count on an avg. speed of about 25-30 mph. Not too much washboarding, but there were a few stretches. It rained for three or four days straight, enough to raise water levels quite a bit and turn the creeks brown. All the Parks streams seemed pretty high also, but I didn't fish any of them. The fish are there though, so I'm sure with a little more effort than usual you guys could pull some out. That's my $.02

Thanks for the reports guys, we are heading out tonight. Glad to here the Denali highway is it's usual self I was not sure how all rain we have had this year was going to effect it. Well that is all for now thanks again for the reports.

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Is sheep a weekend-only fishery all year long? Or does it revert to all-week just like Willow??

Jon
    Sheep is the one on the way to Talkeetna from Anchorage right? Id head up there to fish this week before/after doing hatchers pass if its open during the week.
    Anybody know if its open during the week? And if the fish 'are' in or 'were' in?
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Sheep Creek is open all week and all night. Weekend only is only during King season.

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Sheep is the one on the way to Talkeetna from Anchorage right? Id head up there to fish this week before/after doing hatchers pass if its open during the week.
    Anybody know if its open during the week? And if the fish 'are' in or 'were' in?

That's the spot Soda. I'm gonna be looking at heading down there within the next week or so. If your interested in going give me a shout and maybe we can head down there together.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

all parks hiway streams are blown out..

Then you might have to look at the smaller streams. They are less likly to flood.

Yep, went to Montana this morning and fished my way down the highway, all rivers are at the top if not over the banks with extremely muddy water, Rain was steady and heavy at times. Caswell was clearer but still high with no hits and few fish moving that I could see.

Watch out for the sow with two cubs on Sheep..

NOAA is calling for sun tomorrow and the rain is letting up here in Big lake so just maybe by the weekend..

Hit Caswell today. Not good. The water was fine, a few rolling but nothing for me. I saw 1 caught on roe.
    Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.-Thomas Jefferson

A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference.
    -Thomas Jefferson