Thread: Valdez, bears, camping?

Default Valdez, bears, camping?

Hi,

I don't see any hints of commercial seining going on this coming weekend, so we're planning on taking our family of SIX (ages 7, 10, 10, 15, won't tell, won't tell) down to Allison Pt for a bit of shoreline pink salmon fishing ...should be awesome fun for the kids (oh, and me). Haven't been down there before, so here's a couple of Q's:

- We're driving down from Fairbanks after work on Friday, camping near Glenallen Friday night, planning on camping at Allison Pt campground on Saturday night ...do we need to worry about finding a spot to camp? Or should we make reservations at one of the other campgrounds?

- People keep mentioning bears in that area but no reports of serious problems. Do people carry bear protection while fishing? We've got both guns and pepper spray. What about cooking/camping? We'll be in a tent and the adults will sleep in the van w/camper pads. Cook a long way from camp, wash and bag everything, then camp away from food? Keep the cooler inside the (closed) van? Are people cooking in the campground and possibly causing issues?

- Any hints on where we should fish, how to find the spot, or what to use would be appreciated ...PM or post here (thanks)

Brian

Black bears are common along the creek that runs parallel to the road to Allison Point especially in the evening. They are fairly habituated to humans pulling off to the side of the road to watch them catch Pinks. I don't think a fire arm bear spray is necessary, but it can't hurt to have available in camp.

Vibrax Spinners in Size 5, or Pixies should be good.
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 07-22-2008 at 11:06. Reason: Spelling

Thanks. But what do you think about showing up on a Saturday and hoping to get a spot in the Allison Point campground? Think it might be a problem?

Brian

You may want to call ahead and reserve a spot

http://www.valdezalaska.org/visitorS...s/camping.html

Default Valdez

I was there last weekend and didn't have any trouble finding a spot but better safe then sorry. As far as fishing goes I used Vibrax from the beach and caught a fish on almost every cast. Lots of fun on light tackle.

We were at Allison Pt last Wed-Fri. The sites we were on were pretty empty.

We saw a brown bear walking the beach right below the campsites numbered in the 30s. We tent camped and cooked on a coleman stove or sealed foil, didn't throw any foodstuffs in the campfire, stowed the pots and pans, dumped all trash in the dumpsters, and kept everything, including toiletries, in the car.

No hassles from the bears, but kept the spray and weapon close.

We fished close to the hatchery, where the pinks were THICK. Park for free in the large parking lot over the bridge. Bring hip boots. Best time for us was high tide-outgoing. The pinks were stacked next to the weir and 3 feet from shore until the tide went out, then followed the ebb out. Walk out with them. Fun for everyone. I used a fly rod with a yarn fly, and hit on virtually every cast. Almost everyone else there was using, and hitting on, #5 pixees of all different colors. Could have limited in 30 min, but wasn't going for meat. Saw very few bright fish. Bears weren't an issue at the fishing area there.

On a side note, we never ate pinks before, so we took one and grilled it in foil with butter and Johnnies Seasoned Salt. The meat was nearly white, still firm, and actually tasted cod-like. Pretty decent, but not "salmon flavored".

I'm sure you'll have a blast!

all of the above, just make a note of not fishing within 300 feet of the weir, low tide in solomon gulch creek the fishing can be unreal, just fish at the 300 foot marker pole russian river style or drift a fly and you'll mouth hook more than with a spinner or spoon....have a blast. the bear is pretty tame less you try to ride it...that costs money!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212