Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New sockeye reports?

Default New sockeye reports?

Does anyone have any recent sockeye reports?
    We fished yesterday (Sterling below Bing's) and got 2 for 4 hours, lost a couple others.
    Slower than Sunday or Saturday.
    Heard there was a push of them in Soldotna yesterday and should be upstream towards Sterling today (Tuesday).
    Thanks,
    Jim

Russian was slow today.

Default Slow dipnetting at the Mouth

I just watched the dippers at the mouth of the Kenai (7/24 @ 7:45 am), and it lookspretty slow. I checked the night before as well with similar results. SLOW DIPPING. The weather this morning is poor. Rain, wind and cold temps. I will keep checking and hopefully hit the second push of fish, if there is going to be one.

Scott

Default Slllllllllllooooooowwwwwww

Dipnetting this morning was miserable weather and slow. Commercial boats are coming in due to weather and hardly any fish being caught. At least 3 dozen drift boats already anchored in the mouth. Only 10000 yesterday thru the sonar. Today doesn't look much better. North 30 knot winds and driving rain.

My brother i still at Centennial, etc. Running up and down river looking for fish. I will check with him to see what his report is and what he has seen.

Default Fished above Bing's...

on Wed/Thurs. 2 of us took about 5 hours each trip to get limits. Have to work at it and stay persistent. Tried a few days closer to the Moose, but didn't see too much happening.
    Our favorite place to fish in Sterling got bought by somebody and they won't allow access (I asked permission). The place was gold!
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by KUMA View Post
    Russian was slow today.
    When someone says 'russian' now, do you mean the actual Russian River, or where the russian meets the kenai?
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

I sure thought that the Russian River/ Upper Kenai "area" would be "RED" hot this weekend, but from reports on this and other forums sure don't sound all that great considering how many people are going to be down there beating the water to a froth. Got the drift boat ready to leave at a moments notice, but we just might give it a few more days to see if it get a little more consistant.

Default Russian/Kenai

I fished below the confluence last night and the fishing was pretty good. Lost a lot but still managed to limit in not too long of fishing.

To get to the confluence, you basically go through the campground and walk?
    Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    To get to the confluence, you basically go through the campground and walk?
    Is that correct?
    Yep, park in the last parking lot (Grayling I think) walk down the stairs and follow the boardwalk to the end. You will see the island in front of you and the ferry wire across the creek down on the left maybe 80 to 100 yds.
    You can cross to the left bank and walk down.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Yep, park in the last parking lot (Grayling I think) walk down the stairs and follow the boardwalk to the end. You will see the island in front of you and the ferry wire across the creek down on the left maybe 80 to 100 yds.
    You can cross to the left bank and walk down.
    How many years have you been visiting? MAn! YOu know it all!

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    How many years have you been visiting? MAn! YOu know it all!

thanks again

Nah, not hardly!!! I know the upper Kenai and the lower Anchor pretty well now. The rest of the state I don't know jack!!!

Default Update...

Fished again above Bing's (around mile 45 on the river) today; 3 reds for 2 of us; tapped a few others, lost a few more. A little slow but absolutely beautiful; with the sun, mountains, ducks, loons, etc.
    Jim

Default Fished today...

right above the Moose/Kenai confluence for 2 reds (lost 2 others) for 3 hours. Actually better than expected, given the circumstances (11k) counts lately. One was a HOG, biggest I've ever seen I think. Love my 8wt! My buddy fishes a 10 wt and calls it the meatstick and keeps telling me to upgrade; not until my 8 sees some kind of catastrophe.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    right above the Moose/Kenai confluence for 2 reds (lost 2 others) for 3 hours. Actually better than expected, given the circumstances (11k) counts lately. One was a HOG, biggest I've ever seen I think. Love my 8wt! My buddy fishes a 10 wt and calls it the meatstick and keeps telling me to upgrade; not until my 8 sees some kind of catastrophe.
    Jim
    thanks for the info. Your buddy is the one who should "upgrade". 8wt is perfect in my opinion, I even pull out the 7wt or 6wt for the smaller reds. One year I even fished with a 5wt for the late run reds for kicks. Other than wearing me out quick and making my wrist really sore, it worked fine.

I don't bust out the 10 wt unless im going for silvers or even kings in the 30-40 range.

I like the contol and sensetivity of a lighter rod. Much more sporting imo.

The reds seemed to be showing up in decent numbers yesterday afternoon. We started to hit them pretty good dippin. I have a feeling tonight should be some good fishing in Soldotna. Not many splashers in the river today though. Good luck
    KLICKMAN

Default Thanks for the info guys...

It's now 10:45 am Sunday. Probably go fishing later today or tonight (we're based in Sterling) as there seem to be fish coming/going thru Soldotna. Last year we put in at either Stewart's or the Pillars about 4 times and fished the big cut banks above Big Eddy (where everybody drifts for kings); that spot can be great for reds. Maybe go down there as well; too many choices!
    Yep, I really like the 8wt. It's not even an expensive setup; combo outfit from Cabela's (Three Forks 4 pc.) the reel it came with had a junky drag (couldn't handle the 20 lb line) so I got an inexpensive reel from TW last year; so far it's doing great with 20 lb. mono and all the pressure from Kenai reds.
    Sometimes I wish it had more backbone but you're right about the sensitivity and ease of use; these last few days I've had to rely on the sensitive factor to discern fish since there aren't the sheer numbers to hook up easily.
    Anyone else? Please chime in on the reports!
    Jim

Drifted the upper Kenai yesterday looking for reds for the freezer. VERY high water, and few fish - you had to put in a lot of hours just to see the fish. They were not holed up in the usual sloughs, and the few we did see were pushing through like they were late for dinner. I have to think they're hanging around in Skilak for the secret message that tells them it's time to go . . .

Got to meet AKChuck and his wife, great to see other forum members out and about.

Cheers,

SH

P.S. The takeout was the worst I've ever seen it. People parking their boats and rafts in the launch are so no one could move. Please remember to keep the launch clear - if you're not putting in or taking out, keep the area clear. Things move a lot faster that way. And rafters, PLEASE don't disassemble your raft on the launches . . move down behind the trees - there's plenty of room there.

Default Fished the same area...

as yesterday; a few hundred yards upstream of the Moose confluence; except today we got nothing, nada. Fished for maybe 3 hours; hooked up 3 times but couldn't stay connected; got one red in the net but it had wierd growths all over it and didn't fight much at all, didn't even want to touch it, released.
    Drove by Bing's tonight about 11:00 and it was pretty much a ghost town; 2 nights ago we were there and only a few parking spaces available.
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast