Thread: Upper Kenai Red's

Default Upper Kenai Red's

Anyone drift the upper Kenai in the last day or 2 to see if the reds are up to the Russian river Launch yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    Anyone drift the upper Kenai in the last day or 2 to see if the reds are up to the Russian river Launch yet?
    I floated the Middle on Saturday; put in at Lower Skilak Lake. I can tell you the reds were coming through the lake in droves....15 here; 20 there; 10 over there....that went on for pretty much the whole paddle from the campground to the mouth.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like they will be in the upper River in the next day or two if they don't decide to hang out in Skilak Lake for any length of time.

Default Upper Kenai float

We floated it from the Russian down to Jim's yesterday. We got our limit of reds, but it took quite awhile. They were very sporadic, if your looking for a slamfest, yesterday wasn't it. Some fish were fresh and some were blushing. They're coming, not sure exactly where they are though. Maybe they're in Skilak, maybe they haven't even hit the Kenai yet. Not sure. Gonna float it tomorrow and again on Friday. Gotta keep trying. We'll see..

Did watch a guy in a mini cataraft (about a 6'-er) flip over and go under as he mashed into a log jam. He popped up after a bit and made it. I talked to him later down river and he said that he rented it and didn't know what he was doing... HMMM... Imagine that? He's very very lucky...