Thread: Wild blueberries

Default Wild blueberries

So what do YOU think the wild blueberrie crop will be like in south central this year? The wife says it won't be worth the time to go to our usual spot north of Anchortown as the weather has been so cool and damp. I say the weather might help for bigger berries as long as we pick the right time to harvest(pun intended), there should be less picking and more berries in the buckets.

I suspect the blue berry crop will be good this year. They usually like this kind of weather.

I've been up in the talkeetna's and the berries are everywhere same in hatchers just a matter of waiting.

The berries should be large and plump with all of the moisture. What would really solidify the deal, though, would be a week or two of sun in the beginning of August to add some sugar to the berries and sweeten them up.

[QUOTE=Brian M]

What would really solidify the deal, though, would be a week or two of sun in the beginning of August to add some sugar to the berries and sweeten them up.
    LOL, yeah that would be nice, but since we have had only about 7 days of sunshine over the last couple of months, I wouldn't hold my breath on that..

Angry WHO.....

ORDERED THE FROSTING ON THE BERRIES BEFORE THEY ARE PICKED?????

Saw the news tonight and they had pictures of snow in Hatchers. Looks like it'll be snowmachines and parkas instead of 4 wheelers and slickers for the berry harvesting this year.

Default Turnagain pass

stopped in turnagain pass this weekend and noticed the blueberries were still in their flower stage, no berries yet. is this normal or is this weather this year the cause of the late bloom?

We went blueberry picking the other day here in the Eastern Interior. The berries were ripe and plump this year and we gathered about a gallon in no time. There were still a few green ones but I bet they will ripen soon enough. The blueberry plants must have liked the wet summer more than I have. But then again we also have had a fair share of hot days here too. It was 71F here today clear and windy from the East, whereas Fairbanks is 55 and raining.

This batch was made into jam and it is good stuff! The next picking will be jarred with raw berries in a light sugar syrup then water bathed for pies, cakes and pancakes.

It is the raspberries here that just donít want to get ripe. But I am not complaining, I will just have to have patience.

Good gathering!
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Default I'll pay for shipping...

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Grandma View Post
    This batch was made into jam and it is good stuff! The next picking will be jarred with raw berries in a light sugar syrup then water bathed for pies, cakes and pancakes.
    I'll take 2 pints of the jam please No rush on the pies...you can send those in a second package