Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas tank problems

Default Gas tank problems

My inboard jet boat has water in the tank. I don't know how it got there, but it has been a problem for a while now. I've replaced the breathers, and will put some sort of clamshell over it tomorrow, and replace the gas cap and the auxillary kicker connector to make sure. In the mean while, I have to drain the tank. Does anyone have an idea where to put 100 gallons of fuel? I'm thinking of finding two 55 gallon drums and using them, but I wouldn't be able to tell how much water was in it, and I wouldn't be able to tell where the water is to separate it.
    Incidentally, does anyone know if fuel that has had water in it can be reused after separating it?
    (I've had multiple failed fishing trips this year due to this problem and summer's almost over)
    Thanks if you can.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Water in tank.

I have had some trouble in this area as well and I used 55 gallon drums to hold my fuel in and then run the fuel through a MR FUNNEL back in to your clean tanks. The fuel will be fine but if you are woried add some Heat to it or other additive. I got my funnel at A.I.H. and they are sixty bucks for a big one you can fill your tanks through at the pump and they work great. If your getting fuel from a suspect tank you will see the water that catches in the funnel and know for sure if that is your problem or if is condensation sp? Good luck
    Will

I hope you have a fuel/water separator on your fuel line? If you do not, install one immediately, perferably the style where you can drain out the water as it accumulates.

Any remaining water can be removed by adding 6-7 containers of heet (the red containers)to each tank till you run it out..

Default water problem

Been there, done that. Had the same problem many years ago, it turned out to be saltwater that was pushed into the vents from several large waves up against the transom while loading on the beach at Deep Creek. Talk about a headache!!!
    Bottom line is I pumped out and removed both tanks. Had them out for several days pushing air through them to make sure they were dry as toast. Put everything back together, replaced all filters, and used electric fuel pump to purge all fuel lines before hooking up carb.
    Hope fully this is all you need to do.
    Because I had saltwater---a few years later I started getting some sort of oxidation inside fuel lines which led to carb problems. Ended up rebuilding carb and replacing all fuel lines. 10 years later the old 351 is still working fine.
    And yes you can use that fuel you pump out. You can either pour it through a chamois cloth like the airplane guys do, or set up some type of pouring system that you can visually see the water in the bottom of container. I used 5 gallon buckets---takes a while, but you can see the fuel that you are pouring.
    Feel free to PM me if I can help with any other questions.

Default New stuff and lots of money so far.

Some great ideas already, thank you.
    As for the fuel system, I have already put on a brand new Holley marine carb and new mechanical fuel pump. When I opened the mechanical fuel pump it looked a lot like salt water corrosion that ruined it, clogged the valves with white corrosion. This really sucks, I've been battling this last summer and this year since May, and I hope I finally win this battle, I have all week off. I even put the boat up for sale I was so fed up, but could not fix it enough to sell, and have since changed my mind.
    Of all the lessons I have learned in this, eliminating and preventing water in the fuel system is the most important.

Here is a question I forgot to ask:

Do fuel tanks have baffles in them? I thought I had it all out 10 days ago, but I guess I didn't because there is a LOT in now. Maybe the gas can "hide" in baffle walls or whatever? ( I tipped the bow up and jacked the starboard side up before pumping all I could out ).

are you completely certain that this is a water in the fuel problem?

Don't waste money on little bottles of Heet, go to Garness Industrial and buy a 5-gallon bucket of isopropyl alcohol and use the usual 16 ounce portions of iso to gas.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

You guys!
    He is wanting help getting rid of watered down gas
    No you can't reuse the gas when it has had water in it.
    It costs a lot more than the gas to dispose of it properly, I will take it off your hands and not charge you anything for disposal.

Mr Funnel works, shouldn't have to drain the whole tank just pull the water off the bottom.

Default This is what I did

I Jacked the trailer tongue up as high as I could and had the starboard side higher than port side. I removed the aft tank pick up tube and sent a piece of copper tube with clear tube attached into the low corner and started siphoning out the contaminent. I pulled exactly 5 gallons of water out. (coincidence?) Checked the other 3 tanks and they had a small amount of condensation, but nothing the racor would not catch.

If you can access the pick up tube this will save you from draining the entire tank/tanks.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I worked hard to get it out two weeks ago or so, and thought I had it all out. No more was building up in the separator and it ran great on a test run, but when I got down to the Kenai on Saturday I made one run up, ran beautiful, then on the 2nd run it bogged down hard and would not run, separator was full of fuel and so was the carburator. After draining the separator, dumping it out, draining the float bowl, and pumping fuel through the lines, it filled up and bogged down again after only 5 minutes of running. did this three times and all three times it was full of water within 5 minutes.

I have a locking gas cap, so sabatoge is out of the question.

My thought is that there were baffles in the tank to keep it from shloshing (a long belly tank) and it "hid" in them when I tipped the boat up? Either that or there's a bunch of water draining in somewhere but I'll fix that tomorrow. I guess I have to find some containers too, I'm going to drain this sucker, take it out and dump it upside down! No more Mr. nice guy...

Default Water finding Paste

You can let the gas settle out in a drum and buy water finding paste, you put it on a stick or rod, goes on one color and it it hits water turns red. At least that way you know if waters there and how deep in the bottom of the barrel.
    Thats right don't buy Heat it's not going to do any or very much good, NAPA has Thermo Dry and I thik it's isopropyl alcohol, not sure of mixing ratio but to much might be bad.

A marine gas tank should have baffles. The opening in the baffles would be on the bottom corners. Not knowing how big your tanks are there maybe 1,2, or 3 baffles. If your tanks are Alum, you should see a weld hot spot.

Question Bad Gas?

Along with all the other recommendations could you have gotten bad gas? Did you use a Mr. Funnel when you fueled your boat?

Back around 1992 I got some really bad gas in Homer that created an interesting weekend. Being on the Big Blue Lake is not the time to have fuel issues......

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamokaiman View Post
    You guys!
    He is wanting help getting rid of watered down gas
    No you can't reuse the gas when it has had water in it.
    It costs a lot more than the gas to dispose of it properly, I will take it off your hands and not charge you anything for disposal.

Mr Funnel works, shouldn't have to drain the whole tank just pull the water off the bottom.
    Why can't you use gas that had water in it? The water can not mix with the fuel unless you first add something like alcohol to the mixture. Water is heavier than gas and will sink to the bottom on any container.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I Jacked the trailer tongue up as high as I could and had the starboard side higher than port side. I removed the aft tank pick up tube and sent a piece of copper tube with clear tube attached into the low corner and started siphoning out the contaminent. I pulled exactly 5 gallons of water out. (coincidence?) Checked the other 3 tanks and they had a small amount of condensation, but nothing the racor would not catch.

If you can access the pick up tube this will save you from draining the entire tank/tanks.
    Your new GC had 5 gallons of water in one of the fuel tanks?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Why can't you use gas that had water in it? The water can not mix with the fuel unless you first add something like alcohol to the mixture. Water is heavier than gas and will sink to the bottom on any container.
    I think you missed the boat on this one.

use that fuel drier.. HEAT..

ray

i would put 5-10 contaiers of it in 100 gal
    Semper Fi!

Your new GC had 5 gallons of water in one of the fuel tanks?
    Interesting, huh? I pissed off a neighbor kid that speeds through the neighborhood. I had some words with the lady that spawned the little turd and next thing you know water in the fuel. I cannot prove it, but he is a real piece of work. IF it was bad fuel, all the tanks should have had water. Karma is a real mother, though. The next week he tested the laws of physics with a full size ford pickup and lost. The car was totaled.

We are out of the old hood, so I do not have to worry about him anymore. I also have found some very nice locking gas caps that should solve any further problems.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thats a bummer Spoiled One! But glad you found out what caused it.

Bronco, Gas and water will not "mix together". But if you add alcohol the water will mix with it and then this mixture will "mix" with the gas, permitting it to be burned as long as you are reasonable about it.
    Water is heavier than gas and will always stay at the bottom of the tank. It is always safe to use gas that HAD water in it because the water never really mixes with the gas rending it unuseable.
    As my wife tells me, I may be dumb but I am trainable, what did I miss the boat on?

Thumbs up Dittos!

As my wife tells me, I may be dumb but I am trainable, what did I miss the boat on?

I tell my wife:

God told me to tell you that I am "work in progress!"

For some reason she doesn't believe me.....................

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast