Thread: Kenai River mad-house

Default Kenai River mad-house

Well, we made our annual trek to the Kenai for a little dip netting with the family. All was good and we did pick up a few reds to include a couple of kings. Fish numbers were steady and we didn't go long with out some excitement.

The place was a zoo. We dipped from the boat and most everyone was real good about following the rules of the river.

I don't know why, but everyday there seemed to be a few idiots that could grasp the concept of when you transition back up the river to make another drift you use the center of the river. Then once at your destination you wait your turn, get into line and make your drift. There were morons racing right up the sides of the river where everyone was trying to drift cause huge wakes. Then they would just cut right in between boats in the drift line. It was ridiculious at time and dangerous at others.

It's a pretty simple process if everyone abides to the practice. Its to bad that there are those who just don't get it.

None-the-less we had a good time and the kids got to net a few fish in the process.

Default Agreed

It was a madhouse down there. We saw two differant people loose there dipnets on bouy's, someone hit a mooring line tied off to one of the BIG commercial boats with there outboard (whipped the boat around about 90*) and someone else completely run into one of the moored commercial boats.
    I think a good portion of the people out there had more horsepower then brains. People need to take a driving test before they are allowed to own or drive a boat.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by 79FSJ View Post
    ......People need to take a driving test before they are allowed to own or drive a boat.
    Driver's testing, driver's licenses, and vehicle registration has certainly made our streets and highways trouble free, huh?

I am not sure that there was really a middle of the river at times. It was pretty much solid boats. It was a bit spooky with all the boats running the bouys like a slalom course. Didn't see too many really bad drivers out there. Did see some boats that I would have never put in that kind of water. 11' john boats were asking for trouble with that much boat traffic. Anyways we got our limit and two other families limits and got out of the river. Hopefully didn't offend too many people while out there, but an inboard jet with 600 pounds of fish tends to make a wake.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by stratofisher View Post
    ......Did see some boats that I would have never put in that kind of water. 11' john boats were asking for trouble with that much boat traffic.......
    I was half expecting to see three men in a bathtub floating about out there. Saw everything else. Saw three folks in an 8' rubber dinghy. Had they caught any fish I have no idea where they were going to put them.

The water frothed unpredictably with all the boat traffic going in every direction. It was no place I'd want to be without lots of freeboard.......

I dip netted on Sunday from 6 a.m. till about noon. First time out there. I didn't think it was that bad. I expected worse. Folks in the little Zodiacs are a bit crazy. Not big enough to be doing that kind of thing in. Most of the folks were pretty curtious and for the most part everyone run up the middle and down the sides until low tide and folks started to fish in the middle.

I would agree that 95% of the folks out there were curtious and safe. It's just that last 5% of them that gets someone hurt. There were a lot of boats out there.

We still had a pretty good time altogether.

Default safety

A wave hit us while our picker was geting a fish out of the net. My niece was keeping her net in the water and a large wake hit us and dumped her into the water. She was wearing a PFD and we were able to pull her out quickly.....as nuts as it is there I would strongly advise wearing a PFD. I saw lots of people who weren't.

I saw two guys in one of those folding boats with about a 4 or 5 horse (2-stroke ??) by the bridge as I was heading back up. Sure hope they didn't enter the dipping frenzy-can't imagine they would have lasted very long. Hopefully they saw how things were and went back up river - not a very safe place either but not quite as bad.

Dipping was good on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We got enough fish for four families so are really happy with the way things went this year.

On Saturday, did you see the guy who found the island as the tide was going out? Seems like a few people do that every year. What a great learning experience. For all the other folks.

Couple of years ago, some nitwit in a very fast jet boat went deliberately charging through the swimming seagulls each trip up the river - I guess to see them sqawk and flap away. Until he grounded at about 35 mph. We all got to watch him stand around in the mud until the next tide came in, and he got to watch all of us catch fish.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
    On Saturday, did you see the guy who found the island as the tide was going out? Seems like a few people do that every year. What a great learning experience. For all the other folks......
    Happened every tide outgoing that I was there. I saw two boats stuck on one outgoing tide. Almost got caught myself.............