Thread: Primers

Default Primers

Hey Gang, Is everyone out there having problems getting primers? Midway USA said that Federal isn't supplying any to them. Didn't we have this same problem several years ago? I suspect that most of the production is going to the war effort, but am not sure. Thanks, GH

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Hunter View Post
    Hey Gang, Is everyone out there having problems getting primers? Midway USA said that Federal isn't supplying any to them. Didn't we have this same problem several years ago? I suspect that most of the production is going to the war effort, but am not sure. Thanks, GH
    Yes we did see this before. Ever time we see a scare in the market we see a run on components. What scare you ask? Politics. The firearms market for what the propagandise call "assault weapons" has been going at breakneck speed for over a year now. Gun owners see the handwriting on the wall, they can see a liberal congress and a liberal anti-gun President around the corner.

The last time Federal had a shortage, the big one, was over the death of a UPS driver. Packaging was the blame.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

This past few months it has been a pain in the rear to get primers. When SW gets them they are sold out in 1-3 days. It used to only be the Federals that were gone so fast but it is now all makes.

All the primer manufacturers have contracts with the Govt. from what I have heard too.

You may have to get some primers from fellow reloaders.

For anyone that reloads it is best to have the money ready for when you find the primers you want so you can supply yourself.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Primer storage.

Powder can be stored for years. It has never occured to me before but for how long can you store primers?

Quote Originally Posted by 35gibber View Post
    Powder can be stored for years. It has never occured to me before but for how long can you store primers?
    I have Frankfort Arsenal primers that still work fine (corrosive) form the 1930's

I keep all long term storage primers in ice chests, with desicant dryers, closed.

Long term, moisture is the enemy.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Primers

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']I hope this helps I shoot lots of three gun matches I have been using Wolf primers, so far I have reload about eight thousand rounds of 223 and 2 thousand rounds of .45 without any issues they are none corrosive and work great.[/FONT]
    Ted Kennedy’s car has killed more people than my gun!

Quote Originally Posted by frankd4 View Post
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']I hope this helps I shoot lots of three gun matches I have been using Wolf primers, so far I have reload about eight thousand rounds of 223 and 2 thousand rounds of .45 without any issues they are none corrosive and work great.[/font]
    That's wonderful. So where did you find Wolf primers here in Alaska? I have wanted to try them for a long time, I just have not been able to find them. I would buy four cases today of small rifle.

Default Primer life

Primers have a better shelf life than powder. Decades. SW in Anchorage is bare, but Fairbanks had some last week. Part is fear that supply will vanish... If the left had its way, there would be freedom of the press.. one and only one press and all paper and ink would require previous review of any proposed news by the Bureau for Accuracy, Truth , Fact and Excellence (BATFE). Having done away with alcohol, firearms ,"explosives" and the 2nd Amendment, BATFE would naturally shift to enforcing the 1st Amendment.

Another point... having done away with military production... commercial sources will be tapped for brass, bullets, powder and primers. There is a "war" out there. I'd rather save American GI lives and let my fingers do the walking over the push buttons. Nothing should get the attention of our enemies more than the concept of "dust to dust and ashes to ashes".

No GI's life is "negotiable". .... End of peach crate preaching.