Thread: barnes TSX

Default barnes TSX

All,

When loading Barnes TSX bullets, is it best to seat them to where the very top of the case is over one of the indentations and crimp there, or to have the top of the case rest on one of the raised bands? If it's best to have it on the raised band, is it best to crimp or not crimp? I just bought some of these bullets for the first time and am not sure the best way to seat them. The indentations are deeper than a traditional crimping groove, so I'm wondering how effective a crimp would be in that area. Any thoughts?

From the Barnes website:

3. Where do I seat the Triple-Shock, Tipped TSX and MRX bullets?
    Answer. We recommend seating these bullets .050″ off the lands {rifling} of your rifle. This length can be determined by using a “Stoney Point Gauge” or other methods. You do not have to seat the bullet at, or on one of the annular rings.
    There is load data there as well if you don't have their book.

I tried crimping them (in one of the groves) a while back with a Lee factory crimp die. I came to the conclusion that TSX's are better left un-crimped. What caliber are you loading them for? Barnes also does not recommend crimping them, but say if you do, use a very light crimp.

Default .375 Ruger

I'm loading for a .375 Ruger. With the recoil, I'm a little worried about not crimping. Do you think it would be a problem?

No need to worry about crimping, even for your 375 Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    I'm loading for a .375 Ruger. With the recoil, I'm a little worried about not crimping. Do you think it would be a problem?
    I shot about 1000 rounds through various Rugers in 375 Ruger and never crimped any of them and all staayed in place. Some of these were Barnes TSX's. They do push into the case after several firings but very slightly and crimping would just introduce another variable to the equation. Crimping almost always hurts accuracy.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?