Thread: Non-Electric Oil Heaters..

Default Non-Electric Oil Heaters..

I'm looking into nonelectric oil heaters in the 30,000 btu range. I've been thinking about getting a Drolet, Godin, or maybe a Kuma. I'd like to hear what has been your guys' experience with them, good or bad. Also what are you using or would recommend?

Default Dovre

We have a Dovre stove. It sits on a hearth just like a woodstove but clearance dimensions are way smaller if that's an issue for you. I know people that have Franco Belge stoves that use what looks to be the same carbuerator, but they seem to be able to turn them down much lower and keep a cleaner burn going. The two stoves use different catalysts and I think that is the key. I like the stove over the heater as it has a viewing glass in the door that lets you keep that cabin feel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking stove. Anybody else?

I used a Perfection for a long time. Basic, but it worked and was affordable. I replaced it with a Nordic Stove. Efficient, but not very pretty. Wife wanted pretty. We chose an Efel. We looked at everything available in Anchorage and still bought the Efel, which had to be shipped from Fairbanks. I can't say that it's better than the other brands of high-efficiency European stoves, but I can say for sure that we've used the heck out of it and it's been great. Both the Nordic Stove and Efel have non-electric thermostats. They work really well once you've used the stove for a while and get the stove dialed-in. I highly recommend getting a stove that has a thermostat. I'm sure most of the good stoves offer the option.

I think it's important to size your stove correctly so that the burner stays in it's efficient range for the majority of your heating time. Most guys buy big stoves and they idle too much. Oil stoves don't burn well at low settings. Another thing to note is that oil stoves aren't very good at initial heating of a winter weekend cabin. If that's your use get a wood stove. Oil stoves are best for maintaining heat, and that's where getting a stove with the proper output is important.

Eagle River, AK

Default Excellent advice

Well said, Mr. Pid. You're dead -on in every one of your comments in your last post concerning oil vaporizing heaters.
    You make this old oil heating man smile with a very respectable nod of the head....

Ours is a small weekend cabin. I looked at all the non-electric heating options and in the end went with direct-vent propane. The unit mounts on the wall, doesn't take up much space, pulls in outside air to burn (no cold drafts around windows and doors), and sends the exhaust back outside. We come in, turn the gas on, push down the pilot light button, wait a few seconds, hit the igniter and I am done worrying about heat for the rest of the weekend.

If you are in the interior propane may not be such a good idea because it stops coming out of the tank at about 40 below. If it is 40 below here in south central, we aren't going to the cabin.

Goldstream Valley, AK

Spent a winter in a cabin with an Efel as the primary source of heat. No complaints; kept me toasty warm all winter long. However, if I was gone for the weekend and turned off the stove, I'll agree with Mr. Pid that a woodstove is the way to do the initial warm-up.