Thread: Chitna Trail

mriguy

Default Chitna Trail

Just how bad is the atv trail past O' brian creek

Trail's not too bad. Me, a buddy, 2 nets and a cooler made it all the way back to Haley Creek on a Sportsman 600. I only made him get off once. The only thing I saw get stuck was a 6 wheeler

mriguy

Default Rhino back that far?

I've heard that Rhinos and Razrs can make it if you're smart about it, is that true? I would like to bring the Rhino to try to get some reds, but it's not worth flippin the ol' lady over the cliff...She'd kill me for it!

Default UTV

Fish and game had a Arctic Cat side by side and even saw a guy with a ranger past the tunnel

Yes it's true that Trooper Simeons had an Arctic Cat side by side down to Haley Creek and I saw a Rhino there also. That said Saturday after it rained all day there were some spots that were pretty dangerous. One slide has a large flat rock that is quite a steep uphill angle and it is slick as snot with mud. I saw a fellow pulling 40 fish and his gear in a trailer over that slide and he got stuck with his front end two feet off the ground and it is a sheer slide over the edge if he had spun sideways in a jackknife with his trailer. Five guys helped push and pull him over the obstacle. I made several trips all the way to Haley Creek pulling a trailer but I had little weight in it. That said it truely is pretty dangerous but I'm sure a lot of people on here will disagree.

I did witness a couple of guys get thrown out of a Carolina Skiff and floating downriver at a high rate. Another inboard jetboat rescued both of them. I saw some people dipping out of boats without life jackets. I don't think either of those fellows would have made it out of the river had they not had their life jackets on.

Default Agree

I agree that regardless Chitina is a dangerous dipnetting area...add a little to the mix, rain, mud. wind, etc. and it can get very harry. I dip net from the shore and watching some of these tiny boats go up/down the river with no life vests (what idoits) or suicidal-however you want to look at it