Thread: Need Help!! Last minute trip with my Daughter and Wife.

Default Need Help!! Last minute trip with my Daughter and Wife.

We have planed a quick trip to Anchorage area from Aug 3rd to Aug 8th to check out the area before we move up in Sept. For the most part I will be going to a few interviews for work and checking out the surrounding communities.
    I am looking to have this also be as fun as it can be with some outdoor activities as well..
    My Daughter is 5 years old and Loves to fish and my wife would like to as well.
    Our budget is pretty strapped at the moment or we would just heir a guide service to takes us out.
    What is a good river to take the family shore fishing on?
    I'm not looking for anything that is raging because of the safety hazards.

Also looking for other ideas to do while we are there. Has anyone been on the scenic railroad tours? Is there 1 in particular that is better then another?

Any help would be awesome. I would really like to leave a great and lasting impression on my wife and daughter.
    "Give someone a fish and you will feed them for a day. Show someone how to fish and they will just steal your fishing hole and catch more fish then you. Screw them, let them eat chicken!!"

HI! I would suggest these fishing spots.
    Ship Creek downtown.
    Eklutna tailrace north of anchorage on the Glenn Hwy, You'll see an "old glenn Hwy" exit AFTER eagle river and Eklutna the townsite. Drive for about 1 mile and you'll see a sign for the tailrace and it's on the left hand side.
    Bird Creek south of anchorage about 1/2 hour out. Can't miss it.

Hope (a town about 2 hours south of anchorage. Once you get on the Kenai pennisula there is a hwy just for Hope called..........the hope hwy.) for pinks and camping. This is a really sweet spot that should really be good for the kid. The other places are for silvers. Hope is the easiest to fish, and great camping.

I would highly suggest the "wildlife conservation center" or whatever it's called near Portage. It is after girdwood. It has animals that have been injured or captured and is a perfect photo opp to make SURE you see bears or moose ect.

I hear the ATV tour on Knik to Jim's creek is good. I hear that the jetboat safari to 20 mile glacier is cool. I don't know how much either costs.

Hope that helps? Good luck.

Default Thoughts...

Some others should chime in with better info, but I will offer my 2 cents while you wait. I was there in the last week of May just tooling around for a long weekend trip. We were on the Kenai Peninsula just south of Anchorage. We rented a car at the airport in Anchorage. Check into the Kenai Fjords Tours day cruise of Northwestern Fjord. 9 hours of well spent time. Whales, sea lions, otters, puffins, and of course glaciers. Beautiful coastline and such. Great day trip. As you head south towards Seward from Anchorage, you pass Portage Glacier, or near it anyway, and there is an Alaska Wildlife Refuge.. (or similar). Animals in captivity, but your 5 year old would dig it. Musk Ox, moose, bears, eagles, and such. Stop by on your way south to Seward. Further down the road splits. Straight south takes you to Seward. The Sea Life Center (aquarium) is there. Right downtown on the water. Very cool for kids. Hell, I enjoyed it. Lots to see and learn. If at the split, you go right, you go towards Soldotna and Homer. On the way, near Coopers Landing there will be lots of fishing action along the roadside. The combat fishing you hear about. Maybe not as bad when you get there, but when the reds are going through, I suspect that area is a zoo. You should be able to do some fishing in that area. Not sure on run timing though. Others will be able to help here more. I have only spent about two weeks in this area so I am not the best one to say. Consider Lower Paradise Lake. The trail head is just north of Seward and it is a scenic day hike from what I have been told. You can go to google, select images, then put in Lower Paradise Lake (or trail) and see some images. Lots of other similar day hikes in the area of course. This is just one that has been on my to do list for some time. Grayling fishing once you get there, but the hike and scenery would be the focal point. In Anchorage, see the Native Museum. Lots of history. Homer is about 6 (or so) hours from Anchorage and the drive is very scenic in some spots. Particularly near Cooper Landing and that 10 or so miles from the "split" in the road. There are basically two roads on the peninsula. Sorry I can not remember the name. Look at a map and it will be overly obvious. On the way down from Soldotna going toward Homer, check out Clam Gulch and Ninilchik. Some good fishing down there and very scenic. You should look into some silver fishing as the timing would likely be good for your trip. River mouths at the ocean perhaps. Check out Deep Creek, Ninilchik, and Anchor. Those names are in my head and I think they are down that way. Easy access to some of them from what I recall. But check a map as I admittingly am not the best source for info in that area. Fishing for silvers may be a good charter out of Seward this time of year. I suppose they will be pretty thick in August. Lots of charters at the harbor in Seward and you can always take a half day trip if budget is priority. Check out Exit Glacier just a few miles north of Seward. Very accesible and less than a mile from the parking lot to the glacier. On top of the glacier is the Harding Ice Field, I am told that it is the size of Delaware. Park Rangers at Exit Glacier give lots of neat info. The child would like it I suspect. At the "split" in the highway is Tern Lake. Very photogenic. As well as many, many, other spots in that area. Bring a camera. A small cheap tripod and using the self timer on the camera could get some great shots of you with your family. Lots of scenic mountain back drops there. Mithc Seavey (Iditarod Winner) has Ididaride near Seward. Sled dogs and rides. Also, in Ninilchik there is a russian church. I am rambling. If any specific question arrise, shoot me a pm and I will share any info I can. Below is a link to some pictures from our trip the last week of May. When the link opens, click "slideshow" in the upper right side of the page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...7605295387576/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Thanks

Thanks for your help Danattherock and Akbrownsfan.

Anyone else have a few suggestions?
    "Give someone a fish and you will feed them for a day. Show someone how to fish and they will just steal your fishing hole and catch more fish then you. Screw them, let them eat chicken!!"

When we go up there, we always hit homer. it's a bit of a drive from Anchorage, but IMO well worth it.

The kids LOVE the fishing hole on the spit. and the end of the spit, behind lands end is a fun place for little kids to catch fish. Every time we have been up there the little ones have caught flounder and such. Lots of starfish for them to "play with" too. The silvers should (i think) be at the fishing hole then too. someone from up there help me out please.

Ship Creek, Eklutna tailrace, and Jim's Creek. Since your are gonna be a local, might as well start out where the locals herd to.

Ship Creek is nice since you don't have to drive far, but if you want to get away the "ANCHORAGE PACE" try up north a lil at the Eklutna Tailrace and Jim's Creek. Up that way is better scenery than having hotels in the background.

If you want to leave a great and lasting impression for your family, definitely steer clear of Ship Creek Although that said, Ship has some of the best action around for silvers (if you don't mind fishing with a few other folks ...). Bird Creek is also a good option; a lot more scenic, although bears are an issue, and like Ship, the tidal muck is there.

RR tours: check out the "Surf 'n' Turf" (if they are still offering that). You take the train from ANC to Seward, then do a boat tour of Resurrection Bay with Major Marine Tours. They feed you an all you can eat prime rib lunch, and you'll see all the usual critters like Dall's Porpoise, humpbacks, orcas, sea otters etc. The ticket prices were pretty reasonable, too. Just be prepared for a long day.

Quote Originally Posted by chumstik View Post
    If you want to leave a great and lasting impression for your family, definitely steer clear of Ship Creek Although that said, Ship has some of the best action around for silvers (if you don't mind fishing with a few other folks ...). Bird Creek is also a good option; a lot more scenic, although bears are an issue, and like Ship, the tidal muck is there.

RR tours: check out the "Surf 'n' Turf" (if they are still offering that). You take the train from ANC to Seward, then do a boat tour of Resurrection Bay with Major Marine Tours. They feed you an all you can eat prime rib lunch, and you'll see all the usual critters like Dall's Porpoise, humpbacks, orcas, sea otters etc. The ticket prices were pretty reasonable, too. Just be prepared for a long day.
    Umm, yeah. 5 hour one way train ride to Seward....then 3-4 hours on Marine Tour....then another 5 hour ride back to Anchortown. Does make for a long long day.

Huh, great reply there.

I just thought of the Cambell creek youth fishery for your daughter. That might be cool.. it's in town so not scenic, but easy to get to. Limited to kids only. Decent run of silvers. Anybody else know any details?

Also for anchorage the zoo is pretty neat too.

I think I mentioned Eklutna tailrace but that's fun and kind of kid friendly (lots of folks and some drinking.) Still safe water for a kid to be near under supervision.

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    I just thought of the Cambell creek youth fishery for your daughter. That might be cool.. it's in town so not scenic, but easy to get to. Limited to kids only. Decent run of silvers. Anybody else know any details?
    My understanding is that the youth-only fishery is for kings in June, but that the silver fishery is open to all ages. There is another thread here about fishing for silvers in Campbell, so unless there is a certain section of the stream that is open to kids only....

I mentioned this in a PM, but catching pinks, chums, and maybe a silver or two would be almost a guarantee in Willow Creek around those dates. That's a pretty kid-friendly place as well with a short walk downstream from the highway. A silver charter out of Seward would be a slam dunk as well, and very scenic at the same time.

Darn, it should be kids only all year. Give em somewhere safe, and easy to fish. Plus they can go home quickly if the kids tire of fishing.

I wondered about Willow for silvers........kings was about as crazy as anything I've seen I was hoping silvers would be nicer. I might even go up here! Thanks Brian.

I've only fished the Willow for silvers twice. I don't recall, but judging from the lack of crowds I would guess that I was there on a weekday. It was early August and I found stretches of river where I was the only person in sight. Walk downstream a ways on the north bank, find a nice stretch of water, and enjoy.

Default Thanks for all the help so far

I have a few basic questions.

1) From Anchorage where is Willow Creek, Cambell Creek, Eklutna tailrace, Bird Creek and Jim's Creek? And where is the best place to park/fish? Not looking for honey holes just a good idea where to wet the line.

2) What set up is best to use at each place? Shrimp? Keep in mind I am a trout fisherman from Utah that has only fished for Monster Northern Pike in Alaska :P

3) When is the best time to fish the creeks? Early morning, late night? Or are they based of tide charts?

I figure we will be good for about 4 hrs a day fishing with my daughter so good timing would be awesome.

Thanks again for all the help.

Default glaciers?

if you wander down to portage and the wildlife refuge, you might think of a glacier cruise from whittier as well. we took the 26 glacier cruise a few years ago, was a lot of bang for the bucks...

Default Railroad

I have taken the railroad car with the glass roof from Fairbanks to Denali Park and really enjoyed it. My sister used to be able to get us free tickets and has taken it all the way to Anchorage. She really enjoyed the trip, said it was very beautiful country.

However, my sister had her 7yo son along and she said the little one didn't enjoy the trip as much. Apparently he was either restless or asleep most of the ride.

Not suggesting you should to the railroad or not, but saying my sister and I both really enjoyed the beautiful scenery you don't see from the highway, but that her son was bored.

Add my votes to:
    Fishing - Eklutina Tailrace (good directions above)
    Fishing / Sightseeing - Homer (Spit is awesome for parents and kids alike)
    Wildlife Conservation Center as described above
    Anchorage Zoo is actually pretty cute and a 5 yr old will love it
    RR trip to Seward, can't go wrong.

Would personally stay away from Ship creek with a 5yr old on your first visit... very congested and very muddy. Could end badly. Just my 2 cents, plenty will disagree I am sure.

Good luck and have fun!