Thread: Kenai weekend dipping report

Red face Kenai weekend dipping report

I really enjoy this forum so I thought its time I add some input.

Drove in late Thursday night - made it for the Friday 6 am high tide on the S side of the Kenai. Caught 5. A LOT of people.

Came back at 4 to fish the 6 pm high tide. The fish didn't hit until 8:30ish. 3 of us caught 9 (1 for the kiddo). MORE people. We stayed until 10 I've never seen so many dippers. The tide going out was strong and the people with the long poles couldn't control and they drifted into others. People were catching each others poles and boots. Most everyone was good natured. I lost 3 to everyone 1 that I caught during the slack tide. Others were finding the same.

Saturday morning - skipped, too tired from the night before. Fished the north side from 8:30pm on. We waited until we saw people catching. EVEN MORE people. The 2 kids and I caught 5. A friend's son caught 16 in an hour. He was closer to the mouth and the mass of people. He said he spent more time waiting for a spot to open than standing in the water. People were friendly around us.

Of all the 3 tides we fished - the fish seems to hit 1 1/2 to 2 hours after the tide changed - nothing until then, a surge for about an hour and then trickling after.

The fish were BIG. Last night we stayed up until 10 pm jarring.

Default My (similar) weekend report

Pretty much the same to report from the shoreline.

Headed down Friday from Los Anchorage about 4 pm. We made it into the water by about 8:30 and two of us managed 11 fish in about an hour and a half.

Saturday: up at 5:45, in the water by 7:00, fished all day and scratched out another 17 by about 5:30 PM (worked for it, didnít pull the nets out of the water all day!). Things had pretty much died down when we decided to call it a day and spend some time around the fire. Old timerís went to bed around 8:30ish and I decided to walk down and check the scene one last time before turning in. Folks were lighting up. I managed to talk my wife into one more hour and we were able to add another ten fish to the kitty, which was good because weíve a big family. My observations were that the best fishing was at the low switch and two hours after high.

Beach scene was chaos. What is it with people wanting to run their atvís mach 30 right through the middle of a personís campsite?

Well, my report is pretty much identical to the first one here. I stood in the water at 6 am Friday morning, had one in the bucket by 6:15. 3 by noon. Last 7 came in the last couple hours at night. Saturday, started around 11 am. 1 fish in an hour. Then NOTHING until about 8:45 pm. 14 more between 9 and 11 (most came btwn 9 and 10), including 3 in the last 15 minutes. 25 total for two SOLID days of dipping.

It sure would be nice to be able to predict this stuff. I could have gotten a lot more sleep this weekend had I known that I should have just dipped at night.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

I forgot to add --> do NOT forget/ignore filling out your permit cards. After I was done dipping I went into Kenai to get ice and there was a F&G officer at the gas station checking folks' fish and cards. Saw a girl get a $210 ticket for not having filled her card out yet after having left the fishing spot.

Default Had to work hard this past weekend...

Went Fri-Sun, between 4 of us, we netted roughly 80 reds on the southside. Best time for us was the evening outgoing tide. Netted almost 40 of them Sunday night, 2 hours before the 11pm close. Sunday weather was a steady 25mph, with gusts of about 50mph, seas between 3-4 ft, was one heck of a tide to dip in. Got dumped once or twice on some decent size waves.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

boat dipped the kenai a few hours around 630am on saturday, picked up 11 betwen two nets in about a half hour, split for the kasilof and ended up with 152 in two and half hours, three boats in our party boated almost 500 fish in three hours....smokin' hot down there, shore dippers weren't doing as good but still draggin' fish out all the time...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

500 fish? How many families were you guys fishing for? Yowza, I can't imagine the cleaning party that went on afterwards!

Good Lord that's a lot of fish. It'd take me about six weeks to clean/fillet all those fish. And I've found the Kasilof fish to be smaller, and IMO, harder to cleanly fillet out than the bigger ones. Yikes, enjoy all those fish.