Thread: Hope Pinks

Default Hope Pinks

First, thanks to everyone who posts here. I thought I had learned a lot so we took the family fishing at Hope on Sunday. My son (9) is so excited to catch a fish and I figured Hope was a sure thing. Didnít work out that way for us and I am looking for some pointers on what we did wrong. We arrived around high tide. The mouth was flooded so not too many places to fish there, we went up under the bridge. We could see lots of fish, they were hugging the bank. The creek seemed high and fast too me, but Iíve only been there a couple times. It was impossible to fish in the current with our light gear so we fished 4-5 feet out where we could see fish with flies, spoons and Vibrax. NO BITES. My husband was able to hook a few in the mouth but I donít think they bit. Where did we go wrong? My heart was breaking for my son, he was so disappointed. Any pointers would be much appreciated. If the run isnít over I might head back this coming weekend to try again.

i was also there yesterday.

i sent you a PM.

This little creek is not that easy to fish. It's best to hike above the bridge in search of slower water holding fish. Small spinners, spoons or fly's must be prenseted close to the bottom in front of the fish by casting slightly upstream. It's also important not to spook the fish. You may want to consider a bobber and jig for younger kids. It's an easy set up to fish without getting snagged on the bottom.

flipping flies like the russian river works best for me, but the river is very high and very fast right now forcing the fish against the banks, usually fish are spread out the entire river, it was the worst pink fishing i've ever had down there yesterday....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Right now the upper part of the creek above the bridge is high and racing. Tough fishing up there. I lke to wait untill the tide starts going out at the mouth and you can flip like you can at the russian or the kenai and let the current work the fly. I dont use coho's to often. I use bright shiny things that i have bought that i never use any where else. Some butt ugly egg sucking leeches. I have used my good egg sucking leeches and they knock the pinks dead down there
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default hope

The wife and I went down on friday, about 4 hours prior to high tide. The two hours before high tide were the best. We were using pink bunny flies with a lot of flash tied in. In those last two hours, we were hooking into fish at least every couple casts. We lost quite a few on the 5wts, but landed a few also. Maybe trying the incoming tide will work out better for you.

Jake