Thread: Moose river pike

Default Moose river pike

I could have sworn i saw several small fish ( about 3 1/2 to 2 inches ) that were northern pike fry. I have a pretty good eye when it comes to identifying fish and could easily tell these were no salmonoid. They looked and acted like small pike. Are there a few pike there in the moose river? I sure hope not.... I know there have been pike cought out of the kenai though heck there is a lodge or resturaunt on the peninsula that has a pike mount that was cought out of kenai lake. I know there is pike in the swanson river drainages..... The moose river would seem like a pike heaven slow relativly warmer than the kenai and lots of food. Has anyone ever fished for pike on the river or know of any bieng cought outa there? If not I would be very interested in knowing what those little buggers are that I saw swimming aorund. Thanks!

I have heard the rumors, but not seen any myself. I have also heard that pike have been caught in the Kenai, but have not seen it myself.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

could they have been stickleback?
    they swim with their pectorals and have a funny jerky motion....and a very pointy snout.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Oh no they were not sticklebacks I got a very good look at them and they were not a salmonoid or a stickleback. I am a marine biology and field science major and alaska raised so I know what im looking at. I almost just dont want to belive it. The more people I talk to that live there on the moose or fish it a lot have heard of, seen, or cought pike out of the upper moose river. I think its a flyshop that has a smallish pike on the wall 27in or so. The owner of the shop cought the pike out of kenai lake....... After some research you can look up the natural population of northern pike in the brackish water of the Kenai Rivers mouth. Kinda crazy huh?

There is a huge Pike population in the Yukon existing with Salmon.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I may be wrong, but I thought there was a pike population in the Moose & it was actually open to bowfish for them.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Oh i knew that there was a lot of pike there in the yukon and tributaries. I was just kind of shocked to see them there at the mouth of the moose river. I was down there by myself and happened to see them. I have done quite a bit of research and found out there really is an existing population of them buggers. I may take my canoe up the river and see about taking back a few of those slimeballs

You'll be looking long and hard.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Moose river...

The other night while fishing for salmon at the confluence, my girlfriend caught a large whitefish. I was a little surprised, but it seems logical since they are in Kenai lake. It was long and snakeish and full of roe. Could you have seen small whitefish? Or maybe they were pike. Plenty of lakes/ponds around here that have pike and feed into the Moose. Maybe after they eat all the salmon, they will turn to eating tourists/poachers.