Thread: minnimum cart for moose...?

Default minnimum cart for moose...?

I have been really happy with my Rem700 338WinMag, a close frind of mine says he hunts moose with smaller calibers...... like .223, 7.62/39 and gets yeild ever year (Almost) I have always thought that for this application, that would be too small of a round......? Has anyone ever successfully hunted any large game using this calibre of round?

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I refuse to use a 223 or a 7.62X39 for anything bigger than a fox. They weren't made as big game cartridges, they were made for men.

I'm with AinA on this one. Those 2 are not the best choices for moose. I've used the 7x57, but doubt that I would personally go any lighter than that myself. I know of those who have used a 270 or 6.5 with good results, but the 7.62x39 or 223 is pushing the limits in my mind.

If you know the limitations of a cartridge, place your shots appropriately, and don't take inapropriate shots, you can kill large game with very small calibers. The only shots I'd take on a moose with such cartridges are head or spine shots, and that is an extreme limitation on ones shooting. It means very close shots, an animal that is unaware of you, and waiting for the head to be motionless. I couldn't see limiting myself as such.

I personally like the medium bores, 338, 358, 375. For 90-95% of the time, they are totally unnecessary. But on occasions, having put a good sized entrance and exit will allow one a decent bloodtrail to follow, and you're throwing enough bullet to both break heavy bone and create a decent wound channel.

You, or your friend didn't say how he set up his shots, how many times he had to shoot a moose or how many animals he's lost. The 55 grain bullets for the .223 are too small for general use on moose. Plus the choice of bullets usually will not hold together on an animal that size of are solids which will not make a big enough wound channel. You owe it to the animals to make a quick, humane kill and should use a caliber that will do that in most conditions. And of course pick your shots with care.

A relative of mine has taken a moose with a .243 and I have taken one with a .250-3000 Savage (100 gr. bullet), not that I would recommend small bores, but it isn't an impossibility. The .223 seems awfully small though.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Caliber notwithstanding

Paul H. is right on, the caliber you hunt with depends on your experiance, where you hunt, and how you hunt. Off hand shots at Moose are risky regardless what rifle you take into the field. I have successfully taken moose with a 30-30, 300 savage, 243, 30-06, 300 Win mag, and 338 Mag without destroying excessive amounts of meat or losing an animal, however, each was used in a very specific situation. Larger caliber magnum rifles offer more flexibility and the best overall results for moose.

It is also my opinion that its safer with a larger grain, however, this individual is a seasoned hunter/outdoorsman and claims he has never lost one, but only takes head and neck shots. I appreciate the input (Just needed some reassurance that I wasn't crazy for being skeptical about it).... I appreciate the input