Thread: Chum Salmon

Default Chum Salmon

O.K. I will admit it. I eat Chum Salmon.

I caught three today and............ I kept them all !!!

I am anxious to get the smoker going.

I will not lie and say I will only eat Chum smoked because as a point in fact I rolled some in bread crumbs, fried it and just had it for dinner.

This is what fresh Chum should look like. They should be full bodied white bellied and it hel to have a silvery look to them. They also fight like mad.

BTW the Chum bite is on. I hooked six of them and landed 3. The silvers must still be a couple miles farther down the Little Su than where I went today. Which was a couple miles down from Burma landing.

Attached Images Attached Images
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default a good fight

chums are some of the strongest fighters pound for pound. maybe i'll try some chum this year, but with all the kings and silvers in the freezer, it doesnt tempt me yet. where did you catch the chum?

Little Su.

I've always thought that chums were the most underrated salmon.

Thumbs up

Yes, fresh silver Chums are good to eat. I prefer them on the barbeque. They have a very mild flavor, and are quite tender.

Default Fresh Chums

That's one of the freshest chums I've ever seen. The meat looses its color pretty quickly when they hit the fresh water. Normally it's a light pink to almost pale white.

BTW, down here in the lower 48 they call chums "Ivory Salmon" at some of the sea food restaurants due to the white color of the flesh instead of pink/red and they get a special price for it! Believe it or not...

Default In a CHUMS ANONYMUS intervention

So Ron,
    Tell us why you think we are here today. Let us know why your family
    suggested this intervention...

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    O.K. I will admit it. I eat Chum Salmon.

I caught three today and............ I kept them all !!!

I did not do it to change myself away from Chums.

I did it to turn others onto Chums.

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    I've always thought that chums were the most underrated salmon.
    Well, they're on the bottom of the list for me.

If I was starving on a island, I'd eat plants first.

They are a big $$$ fish for the gillnet fleet. Jr says they are getting 60 cents a pound this year. Got a buddy to sells this crap around the world. The eggs are the only thing worth saving. The rest can go into fish flakes and fertilizer.

Bottom of the list?
    They are way better then pinks in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    Bottom of the list?
    They are way better then pinks in my opinion.
    Me too. While chums are not even close to the top of my list, I'd still pick one over a pink anyday.

I just like catching them. I think pound for pound they are the hardest fighting of the 5 salmon species we get here. I have never tried to eat one, but don't really see the point with a freezer full of kings, sockeyes, and silvers.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I like fresh pinks also.

I prefer Reds,Kings,Silvers, Chums, Pinks.

The thing with Chums and Pinks is that Chums go bad after about 3 days in fresh water and pinks go bad before that. I keep a few pinks from the salt now and then.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 07-23-2008 at 11:02. Reason: Flaming

Default Clean Up

I did some clean-up on the posts here guys. Negative comments againt others are not allowed.

Opinions are nice as long as they are not directed against others though.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

You left his though.

Whats up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    I like fresh pinks also.

I prefer Reds,Kings,Silvers, Chums, Pinks.

The thing with Chums and Pinks is that Chums go bad after about 3 days in fresh water and pinks go bad before that. I keep a few pinks from the salt now and then.
    Chums don't keep well in the freezer, but shiny bright chums are pretty good cooked up fresh.

Pinks are another story. We caught 3 shiny silver pinks out of Seward a couple of years ago, put them on ice right away, and about 2 hours later at the dock opened the cooler and got a whiff of nasty maloderousness. I try not to eat things that smell like foot-fungus tenny shoes.

The last pinks I kept where in Valdez. They were as fresh and silver as they get. I only kept one and ate it the same night.

I think pinks and chums done right are nice and mild I dont freeze them though.

I prefer them to rainbow trout.

The pinks are the very hardest to judge for quality. They have to be firm and silver. The hard part about judging how silver they are is they first go from silver to pale which almost looks silver. From pale they go to pink. Pinks have to actually be shiny silver, you should nearly mistake them for silvers. The spots on the tail darken first so the spots on the tail should be nearly unnoticable. Even then fry or grill them the first night.

Pinks also start to go bad as they enter the bay. The Pinks in Valdez are only good to eat the first week or so they are in the bay. Just cause a pink was caught in the ocean does not make it table fare.

Not being freezer worthy does not only apply to Chums and Pinks though, Dolly Varden dont freeze worth a darn either. Dollies are one of my favorite dinner fish but I will only keep what I can eat without freezing.