Thread: Yamaha 25 prop question

Default Yamaha 25 prop question

We've got a 25 Yamaha 4-stroke on a 16' jon. I have 2 props for it; one is a 9-7/8 x 9 and the other is a 9-7/8 x 10-1/2. Which prop/pitch will give me better top end? Last year we ran it with the 9" pitch with the boat loaded with stuff and 3 big guys and it ran okay. This year there's only 2 of us and won't be so loaded.

I think the high no# the more speed, I know when you lower the No# More weight , Front no# diameter tail,No# pitch is what i,m talking about. Give a Boat shop a call Make sure, hopes this helps

Default Understand Props
    should help,
    diff pitch for loaded or not
    Diff for HP to Boat weight ratio's

Default Hey Piranha,

Thanks for that link! It really helped me understand what I was looking at doing; only problem is that the 25 has no tach, so I don't know if we're even in the right RPM range with either prop. Hmmmmm....
    I saw a link a while back to Cabela's that had a small external mounted RPM meter for any small engine; I'll check into that and see if I can get this rig dialed in.
    One more question: the way the motor is mounted on the transom, the cavitation plate is about 2-3" lower than the bottom of the boat; is that correct?
    Thanks again,

Just ordered the Tiny Tach from Cabela's; I'll post how everything works out!
    Last edited by Big Jim; 07-21-2008 at 13:36. Reason: added info

Cavitation plate should be flush or 1/2" lower than the bottom of boat. Raise the motor up and you'll gain in speed a bit.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!