Thread: Boats vs. People

Angry Boats vs. People

Not sure if this is common, but it happened to me at Kasilof on Friday...

I along with about 100 of my closest friends were taking advantage of the commercial closure. Tide was going out in the AM and we were doing the trot down the beach and everyone was finding success on at least every other pass and most were had the net shake on every pass. I don't know what this guy in a boat was thinking, but apparently the dipping was too good for him not to have a piece of and boy did he catch something...ME!!! For some reason he felt it was neccesary to run 3'-4' from those of us on the beach and one of his nets tangled up with mine. I think his passenger said he was hooked on something, so what's the logical thing to do??? Why, run your motor up a few hundred RPM while it's pointed at people of course ( I think that's in a text book somewhere)...and off we went. He probably only drug me for a few feet and I never went over my head, but it felt like a mile and man was I ticked off!!!

Ignorance is bliss, eh sir???

Any other hair raising stories from the weekend? I KNOW the dipping was good

Default Can't find the edit bubble....

Quote Originally Posted by AK Tubes View Post
    Not sure if this is common, but it happened to me at Kasilof on Friday...

I along with about 100 of my closest friends were taking advantage of the commercial closure. Tide was going out in the AM and we were doing the trot down the beach and everyone was finding success on at least every other pass and most were had the net shake on every pass. I don't know what this guy in a boat was thinking, but apparently the dipping was too good for him not to have a piece of and boy did he catch something...ME!!! For some reason he felt it was neccesary to run 3'-4' from those of us on the beach and one of his nets tangled up with mine. I think his passenger said he was hooked on something, so what's the logical thing to do??? Why, run your motor up a few hundred RPM while it's pointed at people of course ( I think that's in a text book somewhere)...and off we went. He probably only drug me for a few feet and I never went over my head, but it felt like a mile and man was I ticked off!!!

If you follow these forums, sir...Ignorance is bliss, eh??? Might I also suggest you get your boat registered? You are lucky that there were enough fish finding their way into my net that superceded my desire to call in yet another oversight of yours and deal with a big scene.

Now that I've vented... Any other hair raising stories from the weekend? I KNOW the dipping was good
    I have to add 10 characters.

Default Right there

I was there trotting right behind you. I had the copper dip net. From the looks of it, they were severely overloaded with dippers. Surprised they didn't capsize. And not even "have a nice day" Goes to show that ignorance is not dead. Just comes in different forms. And dipping was good
    hanapa'

Default Guilty

I am sorry to say I did that exact thing two years ago on the Kasilof. All the fish run just outside of the shore dippers so you have to be careful. The guys on shore don't appreciate it that's for sure.
    When I did it, one guy that didn't speak english had a special net that went about five feet further than everyone elses and mine caught his and I couldn't stop, so I let go of mine since it was sort of my fault. After I let go, my 150 dollar boat net sank and he ran away, afraid I'd be mad or something. One guy was nice enough to spend 30 minutes trying to get my net and he did, so I gave him six reds.
    We caught a ton of reds going just past the shore nets when it was pretty much dead, so it really works though. We go on the Kenai now, so we don't have to worry about that anymore.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default We can get along

I don't have an issue with the boaters in general, in fact I'm envious, but this guy was just too close and drifting sideways with his bow pointed at all of us on the beach, so when he poured the coals, it alarmed a few people. Not trying to start a boater and beacher feud, but this guy wouldn't make much of a case for the boaters. especially with no registration...just goes to show that he doesn't have his game face on, I'd almost bet he didn't even know what the limit was, if you didn't have to put it on the permit yourself.

Oh well, party on! I'll just file it in the "lessons learned" file for when I finally get a power boat

when did this happen excatly and what did the boat look like if you remember?
    i was down on saturday am with a guy who has having trouble driving, he went back that night, was curious if it was him.

Funny thing about shore dippers is how many fish they were missing by standing out in the water...below the line of dippers on the north shore is a green bouy, right below that we'd get right up against shore, within 15- feet and net fish within 10 feet and less of shore, we caught the vast majority of our fish with our nets half outa the water and the rest draggin' on the ground...walking out into the water just pushes the fish deeper makin' it harder to net them. Look at an areial photo of reds running a river and they run it within feet of shore.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default As I recall...

[quote=BRWNBR;308295]when did this happen excatly and what did the boat look like if you remember?
    i was down on saturday am with a guy who has having trouble driving, he went back that night, was curious if it was him.quote]

Green flat bottom...new to new-ish, Honda motor, old kicker mounted on port side - white with red and blue on the cowling, no registration numbers , side console. I'd guess about 16' and 4 dippers plus the driver.

Happened Friday morning. Between 7:30 and 9:00 I think.

phewww i wasn't there!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212