Thread: Hope Hospitality

Default Hope Hospitality

Yesterday I took my family to Hope to check out the Pink action. I've been saying I was going down there for 3 years now and am glad I did. All 6 of my kids had a blast slaying the bright Pinks that were coming in. I must admit that my wife and I had a large time also. The only bad thing was that I had some "lifelong Alaskan" tell me that my family was raping the resources by keeping our fish. I came up here with the Army and we changed our residence, because we absolutely love the Great Land, so we are Alaskan residents also and never plan on leaving. I even have a dip netting permit. I bet that would make her happy too. My family is also not fish snobs, so whatever we catch gets used for food throughout the year. Smoked, fried, grilled, baked, whatever. I even keep the fish bones to make Salmon chowder and smoke some of the bones for an extra treat for my family. Today my wife and I are canning all 23 Pink Salmon that my family caught for future use.

I have heard of people having conflicts at the fishing grounds before, but have never encountered someone like this before. I hope the drunk "lifelong Alaskan" lady at the mouth of Resurrection Creek is happy with herself for making us feel so welcome. I know that this is not the norm, but it is still disapointing to meet someone like this. I might add that I had a fews unchristian like things to say back to her, but that doesn't make it right.

I have family coming to visit our state from the lower 48 next week. I doubt that we will be visiting the nice little town of Hope for fear of running into this unfriendly represeantative of our great state.

I think we will go fight the crowds at the Keani River where everyone is a tourist and stranger. Thanks a lot Mrs "Lifelong resident"! Get bent!

Im sorry to hear you had a bad time. There is always that chance it can happen. Some people dont know when to shut up. Im glad your kids got fish and dont let one or two bad apples ruin your fun. I have had some great times at hope and remember it is your choice if you want to keep the fish. Feed your family and you were legal. Im sure I would have had a real nice comment to those folks
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

There's always one idiot that gives the town a black eye. We went to Ninilchik this weekend to camp, get out of the rain (it was sunny the whole weekend), and dig a few clams. Lots of friendly people, locals and tourists alike. However, there was one local strung-out crack hootchie that came up into our campground trying to scam some folks by saying she dropped some money in their campsite. This scam was accompanied with sob stories about a hard life, etc., etc. They just told her to run along.

Default didja

git any clams? Are there silvers in the Nin?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    git any clams? Are there silvers in the Nin?
    I got a limit of clams. I haven't worked that hard for edible sea creatures in my life. They were pretty deep. I was having to take at least 3 guns full of sand and most of the time I had to reach in with my hand to feel for them and pull them out.

I didn't see anybody even trying to fish in the river, so my guess is the silvers aren't in yet.

Default >>>------->

Quote Originally Posted by 9601 View Post
    I got a limit of clams.

A full limit of clams!This is exactlty what the lady was refering to.
    For Gods sake,doesnt anyone practice dig & release!

Default limit

A full limit is like twelve clams in Washington state. I think they have about four openings a year.

Hope sure is a pretty place and nice spot for the family. Glad most of the trip was fun.

It's spelled "Kenai."

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by FishSean View Post
    I dont care who you are thats funny

Quote Originally Posted by FishSean View Post
    I wish she had been there. Judging from Airborne's post, I probably could have got her to clean my clams for a sixer of PBR or a pint of Old Crow.

Default I will say

It has gotten quite a bit more difficult to get clams than when i was a kid.....and that's not that long ago. Also, big limits of clams in Washington state are at least in living memory...anyone know when that fishery began to be very limited?

What a high jack, from Hope hospitality to Washington clam limits!

Hope is a great place to visit and the fishing is great. Too bad some ruin it and all the snagging is going on. I saw that the troopers were down there citing people. About time.

Taking the wife and kids to Hope in a couple days. Will report on the fishing when we get back.

As for the town folk, I have always had good encounters with the folks down there. Always seem willing and eager to talk and make you feel at home.

I bet she was from this website!

ray
    Semper Fi!