Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting over Thanksgiving

Default Hunting over Thanksgiving

My wife just changed her tickets so that she'll be in California for the entire 4 day Thanksgiving weekend. I suddenly find myself kicking around ideas for what to do for those four days. I've got a friend and a father with bison permits, so there is a chance that I'll be up in Delta helping them out. If they've filled their tags, though, I need to figure something else out. My ideas thus far are PWS deer, Cantwell wolf, or maybe a suicide run to Fairbanks to hunt closing day of the archery moose hunt which closes Thanksgiving day. My preference would be to hunt PWS for a couple of days, but weather that time of year can be so fickle. If it's good I'll go for it, but I refuse to be stuck in the house over those few days, so I need a backup plan or two. I'll just be happy to be in the mountains or woods, but would be happy to hear other ideas. Am I missing something that I should consider? Ducks in Homer? Something else? I'm all ears!

I'm guessing your archery goat permit ends before then, so....

if the PWS/bison items don't beckon, maybe 2-3 days around cantwell for wolf, and a day taking your nephew after snowshoe hares

Thats an easy one Brian, come join us for Thanksgiving dinner and Football! Hey...at least you'll be out of "your" house and in mine.

Appreciate the invite! My goal is to be in the woods, but if I'm in town I'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Appreciate the invite! My goal is to be in the woods, but if I'm in town I'll be there.
    Plenty of rabbits and birds around the house.....

Why not come to CA with your wife and go pig hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by stepa View Post
    Why not come to CA with your wife and go pig hunting?
    1. Can't take that much time off.

2. I've looked high and low, and there isn't decent pig hunting that I can find within 200 miles of San Diego except for on a private, high-fence ranch. I wish! (If you know something I don't, I'm all ears.)

There is RM 435 if you don't harvest a moose in the general season. RL 450 and 460 if the weathers warm enough for the bears to be out.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    There is RM 435 if you don't harvest a moose in the general season.
    Hadn't even considered that one. Might be a little rough with just a sled to pull behind me, but certainly an adventure!

1. Can't take that much time off.
    Well, you can, just take LWOP. I took 10 days last year and the memories with the family made up for the wages lost! My wife is not a teacher though, so I understand why your are staying.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Well, you can, just take LWOP. I took 10 days last year and the memories with the family made up for the wages lost!
    Yes, yes...I know...but I'm already taking LWOP for a family trip in December. With my wife working half-time now, I'd rather not miss any more days. Besides, I've had quite enough of Southern California for a while.

Now, back to me getting out in the woods...

Yes, yes...I know...but I'm already taking LWOP for a family trip in December. With my wife working half-time now, I'd rather not miss any more days. Besides, I've had quite enough of Southern California for a while.

Plus diapers are expensive. Just playing a bit.

I thought you guys got 6 weeks off for Thanksgiving, no?
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    I thought you guys got 6 weeks off for Thanksgiving, no?
    No, you're thinking of St. Patrick's Day. We get four weeks off for Thanksgiving, two for President's Day, and a week and a half for April Fool's Day. In all honestly, I don't really work...this whole education gig is just a full time paid vacation at taxpayer expense.

And yes, spoiled one, diapers are expensive. Thankfully, we're making the switch to cloth (really fancy, expensive ones, though ), so I can spend that money on a Thanksgiving hunting excursion.

Say.....your boat sure looks seaworthy enough for deer in late November. Our commercial fishing boat can certainly handle it, but with a 9 kt. cruise speed, it would take all the daylight available just to cruise back. If weather came up quickly, I'd be hosed.

...or maybe a suicide run to Fairbanks to hunt closing day of the archery moose hunt which closes Thanksgiving day.
    Sorry. No room for Los Anchorage and surrounding area folkies in Fairbanks area the weekend of Thanksgiving.

...not unless you have family in the area.

We are going to Oregon during Thanksgiving (hopefully), so if we are gone, you can feel free to use our spare bedroom. We have a couple of guitars and instruments you can play in the studio if you get bored. There will be food in the fridge, too...

Let us know if you are interested.
    Lurker.

This 27 pound Kenai Rainbow was caught in November.

"You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Is this your Thanksgiving meal for Brian M when he comes over?

(chuckles)
    Did you get the wrong thread?

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    This 27 pound Kenai Rainbow was caught in November.

Lurker.

Say.....your boat sure looks seaworthy enough for deer in late November. Our commercial fishing boat can certainly handle it, but with a 9 kt. cruise speed, it would take all the daylight available just to cruise back. If weather came up quickly, I'd be hosed.
    I have thought about it and know the boat can handle it. I have been out in late October with the old boat and felt like the sea handed me my butt. Once October rolls around, it is a crap shoot out there. Patience will be in my yard.

Default Two years ago in November

I took a trooper friend of mine out to a spot I like for some rabbit/predator hunting. We started to follow some rabbit tracks and ended up coming across a hefty sized bear track in the snow. The wind had blown pretty hard the night before so we knew they were fresh as the tracks were atop a few wind rows in snow. We only had .22's and a .223 and had a sudden feeling of insecurity; thus we beat feet for the truck. The other trooper that was with us went back to his house and grabbed a .338 and followed the trail for about 3 hours before giving up. It is possible to find bears in Nov... especially if there's meager snow and warmer temps.

I'll take you out to my "secret spot", it's rather close here in the valley. I've taken AKmud out there so PM him if you need an opinion on how nice it is there. AKmud and I didn't get anything on our outting but we didn't spend a great deal of time out there either... we did see a nice bull moose trotting off as soon as we crossed our creek on our wheelers but alas, moose was closed.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

No, you're thinking of St. Patrick's Day. We get four weeks off for Thanksgiving, two for President's Day, and a week and a half for April Fool's Day. In all honestly, I don't really work...this whole education gig is just a full time paid vacation at taxpayer expense.

And here I thought you did have to work on St. Patrick's Day. Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't actually realize you had it so hard.

An island hunt for deer sounds like it would be a blast over the holiday.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast