Thread: Dredge Question

Default Dredge Question

I was talking with a guy the other day who said, when dredging the EPA requires a holding pond for the outflow. Is this true? Or can you just let the outflow go into the river.

The EPA regulates the amount of silt you can dump into a water way, so if your dredging is putting a cloud of silt into the water then you could get into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickb1b View Post
    I was talking with a guy the other day who said, when dredging the EPA requires a holding pond for the outflow. Is this true? Or can you just let the outflow go into the river.
    This all depends on what area/river you are working in. What palce do you have in mind?

I don't have anyplace in mind. I am just doing panning and sluice right now, but was wondering if it was true for future reference.

you can make a small settling pond with rocks that will somewhat control the silt and tailings...

I believe that the standard is 2 settling ponds in succession to control even more silt and runoff from the dredge. This of course only would work in shallower water vs deeper water... there are the regs on the DNR site about rules and regs with the requirements when applying for the permit to dredge.

I believe that depends on the size of the dredge. There are some other requirements for dredging as well.

http://www.nps.gov/aplic/Goldmining.pdf