Thread: Downrigger Fishing

Default Downrigger Fishing

My wife just bought me a pair of Big Jon downriggers at a garage sale. I have never fished with them before. Plan to use them next month in Valdez. Im not sure on what size weights to get for fishing for silvers. Im sure depth has alot to do with that. Im looking for a good size weight that will work for a multitude of fishing . Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by 350SuperDuty View Post
    My wife just bought me a pair of Big Jon downriggers at a garage sale. I have never fished with them before. Plan to use them next month in Valdez. Im not sure on what size weights to get for fishing for silvers. Im sure depth has alot to do with that. Im looking for a good size weight that will work for a multitude of fishing . Any help would be appreciated.

I run 10 and 12 pounders. They will work for whatever you want ro troll for. I like the heavier weights as they track deeper while trolling thus are closer to your target depth (less swing back due to water pressure).
    I should ask what model they are as the small portable ones are best used with lighter weights.

I have the 12 pound ones. Rather go a little bigger then have ones that are two light.
    If you do a search you will see there was a good thread on down rigger balls.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Im not sure on the Model. But they have a 24 in solid fiberglass rod. They are all alluminum.

Thanks for the Info and I will look at 10 or 12 pounders.