Thread: How much do sheep travel?

Default How much do sheep travel?

This will be my first year hunting sheep. Yesterday when I went scouting I saw a few of them. I was wondering how much they generally move. I was told that by the time 10 August rolls around, they could be anywhere in the valley. I am hunting the area behind the Eagle Rivers Visitors Center for those who may have hunted that area, and was just curious how much they moved.

They can travel long distances, but before hunting season starts they'll often stay in the same general vicinity. I've had good luck scouting a few days to a few weeks in advance, and then still finding the sheep in the same general area on opening day. That being said, I've known folks who have seen sheep on the 9th, then on the 10th they'll spot them with a spotting scope 5 miles down the valley heading in the opposite direction.

Default sheep travel

The sheep up Eagle River valley have a long history with the F&G people. I would put that question to the local biologist - he SHOULD have the accurate information you seek. In addition, the sheep up there also have a long history of being hunted and once the hunting pressure starts all bets are off. The big old bruisers don't get that way by luck...whatever they have been doing (successfully) to stay alive and to avoid predators (both 2 legged and 4 legged) apparently has served them well so be fore warned - it may not/prob will not be a slam dunk....and good luck.

If its a pressured area they will be on the move, and you have to be really careful about how you move about. If they see you, there gone. Some areas you can get away with that but those old boys will not tolerate any of it.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbrier View Post
    This will be my first year hunting sheep. Yesterday when I went scouting I saw a few of them. I was wondering how much they generally move. I was told that by the time 10 August rolls around, they could be anywhere in the valley. I am hunting the area behind the Eagle Rivers Visitors Center for those who may have hunted that area, and was just curious how much they moved.

Greenbrier, You may know this, but use some caution in your scouting. You can't stop others from scaring those sheep off pre-season, but you can avoid doing so. There can be a fine line between scouting and moving the rams.

One more thing...I was sitting high in some crags back in 2001 and I watched as a nice solo ram crossed a two mile valley floor from another ridgeline far across from me. That ram ran all the way to my craggy ridgeline and literally passed right by me. He was just under full curl.

That ram covered several miles in very little time at all and it taught me that sheep will travel great distances at a whim. It also showed me how a good size ram could easily be taken by wolves.

Wink

Just another opinion...I dont think those sheep are heavily hunted because of the few permits so I think it is highly likely they will be exactly where you scouted them. Sheep move a lot from year to year in some areas in response to food, weather or hunting pressure and that is why airplane scouting is so deadly in locating them and harvesting them as it removes their biggest defense which is moving in harsh terrain. But in that area they likely are more territorial and I often the big ones have a nice inaccessable niche which they stay in. So I think your scouting will pay off!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear