Thread: DG336 - Tips for Spencer Gl. Goat

Default DG336 - Tips for Spencer Gl. Goat

My hunting partner drew a permit for DG336 - Spencer Glacier. He and I are getting plans together for August. Anybody have any tips for this hunt? Specifically, I am looking for methods of getting in and out that have worked well for others. We are looking into taking the train in, but not sure we can get them to drop us off. We would either pick the train back up or float out - thinking that they may let us ride in, but not let us get back on with the goat.

Anybody ever done this? Use 4-wheelers? Float the Placer River? Anyway, just looking for some tips. I am not so much asking about where/how to hunt when we get there, although I wouldn't turn down any advice to that effect. Thanks in advance!

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

I would check with the train to make sure about reboarding with harvested animal. The people that I know that have hunted Spencer Glacier have walked in....and walked out.

Do you have to hunt in August?

Hunt late Sept into Oct and get a goat with some really nice hair...
    just my .02...

Default Please make sure your goat is safely stowed...

Yeah, it looks like the railroad already has a policy in place regarding harvested game animals and firearms:

http://www.alaskarailroad.com/arrc34.html#10

For the most part, it looks like it's allowed.

We're going after his goat at the end of August, because I drew a goat in the Twentymile drainage for late September / early October. So we're each helping each other out. I guess we lucked out with the drawings, right? Well, Twentymile was a registration hunt last year, so I'm not sure what the percentage was...

So I think I'll phone the railroad tomorrow and confirm that we are okay to ride in and out. I'm still open to other advice, though. How far of a walk was it, shphtr? How was the terrain? We're not opposed to walking in, and the railroad may tell us we have to anyway. We're also talking about hiking in with lighter gear sometime in the next couple weeks to cache some stove fuel. Bringing fuel on trains is not allowed.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Bringing fuel on trains is not allowed.
    You won't believe how much fuel travels in backpacks on the train north of Talkeetna. Just saying.......

Default Been there

The train people will not take you or bring you back out, its a liable issue. It is also illegal to walk the tracks, and I would be scared to travel though the tunnels. There are a few places cubs can get in. Two years ago, I had a bad problem with high fast water due to all the rain. Find a friend with a jet boat and go up the overflow toward the glacier then be ready for alders. Good Luck.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    The train people will not take you or bring you back out, its a liable issue.
    Are you sure about that? They now have a flag stop route down that way, so the policy may have changed.

Default Flag Stops

AK RR runs this route with passengers thru Sept and will flag stop. A great way to get in there. Call them about a stop near the loops.

Biologist told me the best goats are in the middle of the unit. I didn't get that far and shot a billy above the first glacier I got to. A friend got in there deep during the later season and didn't find any billys so I was happy with mine.

I'd try to ride the train in the last week it runs and try for a late Sept early OCT long haired billy and hike out which ever way is shorter. There are lots of goats in that unit. Many we saw were unhuntable or in terrain making them unrecoverable.

Check with AK RR and determine the dates they will drop and pick up near the "Loops"

Don't climb what you can't descend and Good Luck, pack super light, bring 50 ft of 3/8 in climbing rope and ascender, ice ax and good judgement, goat country can kill you.

Default Thanking you

Thanks for all the advice. I checked with the RR. They said it's fine to use the service for the hunting trip. They only asked that we not have dripping blood all over the place. Some people have no sense of adventure...

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.