Thread: 2009 Caribou Hunt Planning

Default 2009 Caribou Hunt Planning

I am planning a 2009 Caribou hunt for me, my brother, and my dad. A flyout and float hunt seems to be what I keep coming back to in my research, so I have decided to purchase an Alaska float hunting book. The two I see are by Strahan and Bartlett. Looks like purchasing both would be silly due to overlap...let me know if I am wrong about that...I have never been to Alaska so this is new research for me.

1. Which book should I purchase to get the best research tool? Don't mind spending $45 on Strahan's book, but if I can get the same info for $25 from Bartlett's book...my inclination is toward the Strahan book.

2. Is it reasonable to find an area that contains good caribou (caribou will be the prime objective) and at least a chance at a stalk on a black bear? I don't see much discussion of opportunities in the same area for both species...if not, I'll quite looking...I would love to put my dad on a blackie as he has been skunked on his three bear hunts (two in Manitoba and one in Idaho).

3. It looks like I need to have it planned by November/December as it appears that some outfits fill up quickly. Looks like Seih was not taking new hunting parties by January 2008 out of Kotz. What goal should I have for having all the planning complete?

Thanks in advance for the help...

Default 2009 hunts out of Kotz

Sent you a PM

Walt

Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Default hunts

Quote Originally Posted by lampasashunter View Post
    I am planning a 2009 Caribou hunt for me, my brother, and my dad. A flyout and float hunt seems to be what I keep coming back to in my research, so I have decided to purchase an Alaska float hunting book. The two I see are by Strahan and Bartlett. Looks like purchasing both would be silly due to overlap...let me know if I am wrong about that...I have never been to Alaska so this is new research for me.

1. Which book should I purchase to get the best research tool? Don't mind spending $45 on Strahan's book, but if I can get the same info for $25 from Bartlett's book...my inclination is toward the Strahan book.

2. Is it reasonable to find an area that contains good caribou (caribou will be the prime objective) and at least a chance at a stalk on a black bear? I don't see much discussion of opportunities in the same area for both species...if not, I'll quite looking...I would love to put my dad on a blackie as he has been skunked on his three bear hunts (two in Manitoba and one in Idaho).

3. It looks like I need to have it planned by November/December as it appears that some outfits fill up quickly. Looks like Seih was not taking new hunting parties by January 2008 out of Kotz. What goal should I have for having all the planning complete?

Thanks in advance for the help...

You will get the usual responces about hunt planners some will say strahan, Larry Bartlett , Marc Taylor or various air services might set you up with a plan & some gear. I have used Larry @ http://www.pristineventures.com/ I must say I really dont know what else one could ask for. The logistics are covered, the gear he has is first class, his knowledge speaks for itself. I havent heard 1 bad thing in the 4 years I have used him & his company. I would say talk with your group decide what kind of hunt you want & then get a hold of Larry & share your thoughts & type of hunt you are looking for.

I have hunted caribou & other game as well using Larrys company & am doing so again this year. As they say happy customers are good for buisness.

Default Strahan

For the book purchase... go with Strahan's new one.... it is far more comprehensive that Bartlet's book (though I have both and use both for cross reference).

I have never spoken to Larry but have heard good things. I have spoken to Strahan extensively and he is a top rate fellow. You can't go wrong with Mike...

Good luck, Caribou is my main species I hunt and I love it... tons of different options. have fun in your research.

Greg