Thread: Please, Kasilof Boat Dippers:

Default Please, Kasilof Boat Dippers:

This note isn't intended to start a flamefest or directed at any forum users in particular ... I just thought I'd share my observations from the last couple of days on the river.

The number of powerboats coming down from the bridge to dip is WAY up this year ... apparently due in part to powerhead regs on the Kenai and perhaps due to the week-end and big counts.

Most of the powerboats coming down have been very courteous and have kept noise and wakes down around the driftboats and through the homes in the narrow piece of water above the tideflats. Many smaller boats, especially Zodiacs, cartoppers, and some smaller sleds have been doing it for a number of years and life has alwys been good.

But a few in recent days have been complete jerks ... I watched one boat running a 200 HP pump nearly run a drifter over last night behind us and with the load of people and gear in his boat he put his wake over the side of our drifter while we were anchored on tide.

Please keep in mind that driftboats are not meant to handle large waves from the side and hitting a boat with one is very dangerous for them, especially, the smaller, narrower boats that many local privates run down here ... and many of them are not very good on the oars.

I know of at least rock throwing incident last night but not all the details ... UGLY

The lower river residents are not terriblly happy with the noise of fully cranked up inboards and large outboards and are already talking about trying to rectify things down the road via regulation.

As I say most have been been very nice and I don't mind seeing them go down to do their thing ... but if the actions of a few continue, I think the welcome will be wore out from many Kasilof residents, myself included.

So please respect the local residents along the river and the driftboaters that are at the mercy of your wake. Thanks

Jerks are a the reason many places restrict access and i dont blame them! There is no need to act that way and we all need to call jerks and people who leave their garbage behind out on the carpet! We need to police ourselves!

Default F & G to help

Hey Bob don't worry, ADFG and others are chompin at the bit to get a full blown ramp in the lower river so it too can be zooified along w/ the Kenai. This weekend the Kenai had no shortage of boats compared to previous years.

Default Sad...

I know that the regulators in all their wisdom considered this scenario when they made their moves on the Kenai. They probably should have considered the outcomes of the Kasilof more in their deliberations as this very thing was discussed to its dying end months ago right here in a different thread. All I can say is, what a shame. But, at least the arrogant jerks aren't on the Kenai any longer where the policy makers live. That was the point right?

Default Courteous Boaters

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ball - Piscatorial Pursuits View Post
    This note isn't intended to start a flamefest or directed at any forum users in particular ... I just thought I'd share my observations from the last couple of days on the river.

The number of powerboats coming down from the bridge to dip is WAY up this year ... apparently due in part to powerhead regs on the Kenai and perhaps due to the week-end and big counts.

Most of the powerboats coming down have been very courteous and have kept noise and wakes down around the driftboats and through the homes in the narrow piece of water above the tideflats. Many smaller boats, especially Zodiacs, cartoppers, and some smaller sleds have been doing it for a number of years and life has alwys been good.

But a few in recent days have been complete jerks ... I watched one boat running a 200 HP pump nearly run a drifter over last night behind us and with the load of people and gear in his boat he put his wake over the side of our drifter while we were anchored on tide.

Please keep in mind that driftboats are not meant to handle large waves from the side and hitting a boat with one is very dangerous for them, especially, the smaller, narrower boats that many local privates run down here ... and many of them are not very good on the oars.

I know of at least rock throwing incident last night but not all the details ... UGLY

The lower river residents are not terriblly happy with the noise of fully cranked up inboards and large outboards and are already talking about trying to rectify things down the road via regulation.

As I say most have been been very nice and I don't mind seeing them go down to do their thing ... but if the actions of a few continue, I think the welcome will be wore out from many Kasilof residents, myself included.

So please respect the local residents along the river and the driftboaters that are at the mercy of your wake. Thanks
    Very tastefully said, but the intended audience is probably not reading. I work in the Anchorage Jail and see over and over again how some people go through life with a sense of entitlement, ie, what I want is what's right, with no consideration for the consequences of their behavior. A responsible boater should be aware of his wake and the potential for harm thereof.
    NRA Lifetime Member

well, i'll come right out and say i was in that boat with the 200 horse pump and was in the boat when it almost ran the drifters over!
    I wasn't driving, was embarresed to say the last and could just feel the hate for "motors" on that river..that was pretty clear. And i can see why...everyone who has a "niche" wrapped up would be upset with it gets intruded on.
    I was invited along to go dippin' for my first time and agree that the boat in question was too much for that river and the driver we had wasn't experienced enough to be operating around other boats like that..obviously. With the load mentioned any slower and we'd have rolled the other boats i guess, faster you go the least wake a boat like thats gonna make. Not gonna try to explain any details about why what or who caused i wasn't driving, just a passenger.
    More regulations will be put in as alaska grows and this become more of a problem, just like four wheelers up north, motor restrictions on the kenai, lack there off on the kasilof, airboat noise levels...people live on a river for the peace, not the boats, but its like living near and airport..its gonna happen.
    Sorry to whoever was in the drift boats we buzzed, it was embarressing to be there....human conflicts are no fun for anyone.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Beach-netters could use a break too...

I've spent the better part of today on the mouth, and I have seen tons of boats come in and out. The boats that slow it down as they are passing by us beach fishers are very appreciated, the boats that fly in like the trucks being stolen and the house is on fire are not so much... Guys, slow it down, lets have some respect for everyone out there trying to have a good time and get some fish... Thanks!

big boat going slow...bigger wake
    faster boat on step...smaller wake
    dippnetters standing as far out in the river as possible thinking that'll help the fishing...wrong.
    on the kasilof just below the green bouy on the north side the dippers stopped and we boated within 10 feet of shore and netted 80 percent of our fish within 10 feet of shore, look at an aireal photo of reds running a river and folks would get more fish dippin' if they stood on shore...
    but they invinted chest waders....

I foresee this being one fo those deals when you can't make everyone happy. I was in a boat WAY to big, theres gonna end up being a motor restriction on the boats down there soon, the kenai was crazy with boats, havin' to move nets so you didn't hook up someone elses dipnet...more regs and more regs..here they come.
    But i've gotta say theres no one user group here screwing this fishery up....
    Master guide 212

Default Big wakes

The really big wakes come from the commercial boats on the Kasilof. They are in a hurry too, and don't have a lot of love for the dip-netters.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

wilddog your license plate don't say go gobvrs does it?
    Master guide 212

Thanks for the note and the PM BRWNBR ... I'll reply back to your PM in a few