Thread: Keep Ripping Hull

Unhappy Keep Ripping Hull

Ok, I already have some ideas, but I have a question for anyone who has aluminum jon-boats, especially crestliners. Is anyone else having problems with the seam where the transom and keel join together? I have torn this seam open twice now, both times directly above where it rides on the trailer bunks. I am adding more bunks today, as well as thinking about adding some localized aluminum plates (perhaps angles to web the transom to the keel?). I managed to do so both times by dragging bottom at around 10mph... neither time did I actually lodge on the gravel, just skimmed over it. This seems like a boat design issue to me... anyone else have any fixes or similar experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Limetrude View Post
    Ok, I already have some ideas, but I have a question for anyone who has aluminum jon-boats, especially crestliners. Is anyone else having problems with the seam where the transom and keel join together? I have torn this seam open twice now, both times directly above where it rides on the trailer bunks. I am adding more bunks today, as well as thinking about adding some localized aluminum plates (perhaps angles to web the transom to the keel?). I managed to do so both times by dragging bottom at around 10mph... neither time did I actually lodge on the gravel, just skimmed over it. This seems like a boat design issue to me... anyone else have any fixes or similar experience?
    Type in Engineering in the search button for this site. Another fella had the same trouble with a brand new one.

Angry Yikes

Thanks,

Sounds like Crestliner has some issues there... I already welded one section with good results so I think I am just going to deal with it on my own... less fishing time lost to the warranty and claims people. I bought the boat from a guy who bought it from a guy who was the original owner... its a 2006 boat too! I definitely think it was a result of cyclic impact loading causing work hardening right above the trailer bunks... anyone else out there with the small Crestliners and only 2 trailer bunks should think about getting some more in there...

I had the same problem. See the "engineer help" thread. Good luck!

Default transom

i had the same problem,3 times,but i riped mine open,hooking the weld were the transom and bottom come together in shallow water,ended up putting 1inch angle alum over the weld full lengh across the bottom

Smile Exactly my idea!

Haha... alaskachallenge, that is exactly what I am doing... only difference is I am using 1.5 inch angle Good thinking... Thanks for the report... makes me feel better about my idea!

Default Update

Ok... heres the update at the moment... requested by someone in the fishing forum.

I am not the original owner of the boat, so technically Crestliner's warranty on the welds does not apply to me according to the Shop. I took it in late evening and they were supposed to take pictures first thing in the morning to send to Crestliner... somehow they sort of "lost track" of what was happening with it that morning and I had to call and harrass them into getting it done before I came to pick it up that evening.

I am not impressed with Crestliner, nor that impressed by the Shop... but wanted them to weld the tear back up since I only have access to a pretty lousy wire feed at my work, while they could easily tig it. I have a lot of time welding in my past and feel better about the heliarc for this thin 14 gauge material.

Anyone else who wants to weld on these on these might want to know, the hull material is 5052 alloy. My recommended filler material is either 5356 (higher strength but I am worried that it will cause fatigue cracks in the weaker parent material (parent itself is not weaker but where it is welded will be due to the loss of the heat treatment). The other filler material would be a 4043 or 4047... I tried both the 4043 and the 5356 since I now have 2 cracks in my transom and I will see if there is a truly noticeable difference between the two as far a crack prone attributes are concerned. As far as weldability, both were pleasing to work with, with the 4043 seeming to have a bit more puddle control.

Thus the current point in the story: the Shop has continued to drag their feet on getting back to me, and since I would have already lost 2 precious weekends waiting for their response with the results of their contact with Crestliner, I decided to bite the bullet and weld it myself with a far inferior welder (wire feed with 2 settings: voltage and feed speed). Took me quite a while, but managed to do a pretty decent job... will post pics sometime soon.

My big revision was to remove the 2 carpet covered 2x4s on edge that served as trailer bunks and replaced them with four 4x4s. This should give me a much broader area to distribute the impact forces when going over bumps etc. I welded up the brackets and then used a waterproof glue to glue foam pads (cut from those interlocking work mats you see in people's garage/workshops) to the tops of the new bunks.
    Then I glued and stapled carpet to the bunks to enclose/protect the foam.

Seems like a winner... and the boat lines up so much nicer now when you just drive it up on...

Bottom line, I don't want Crestliner to mess with my boat/replace it, I have the ability to use (and often do) Finite Element Analysis to improve and reengineer things, I do it for a living and a hobby... and I really think I would just have to go through all the same stuff again.