Thread: Kenai Reds

Default Kenai Reds

How fast do reds swim up stream on average. I was debating this with my buddy last night. He said 4-5 mph. I thought that was pretty high. I was thinking about 2 mph. Thanks
    Klickman

Default Got 'em figured out...?

How fast do they swim? Do you mean for 10 feet or for 100 miles? As anyone who has fished for them know's they are very quick. Several feet per second. But... How long do they take to get up 20, 40, 60 miles up say, the Kenai river? Now are we going to include the hours to WEEKS they sometimes spend milling around Skilak Lake before moving up into the upper river? Everytime I think with my 38 years of fishing experience on the Kenai, "I've got 'em figured out..." Yea right! They do something totally different then all my data shows they should do. Go figure...
    Last edited by Alaskan Fly Guy; 07-20-2008 at 15:17. Reason: spelling (I think)

Well i suppose one could figure it out if you looked back the last say 5-6 years and figured the time they hit the Kenai and then when they showed up at the Russian. I am sure if the rivers are high it will take more time but that should give you a good estimate

I should clarify. If there are a bunch of fish coming in on the tide how long til they hit the counter or the soldotna bridge. I guess they will get here when they get here.
    Klickman

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Well i suppose one could figure it out if you looked back the last say 5-6 years and figured the time they hit the Kenai and then when they showed up at the Russian. I am sure if the rivers are high it will take more time but that should give you a good estimate
    I am very interested in a rough idea of how long it takes for them to get to the sanctuary from the counter. Can you let us know when you finish with your calculation?

On average sockeye take about 10 days to go from the sonar to the Russian R. The sockeye sonar is at about River Mile 20 and the Russian is about River Mile 75. That's 55 miles in 10 days or 5.5 miles per day on average over a long distance. On the other hand it seems like fish that hit the mouth of the river hit the sonar within 24 to 35 hours so maybe they are faster when first coming in the river. But the 10 day average to the Russian is a good rule of thumb to use.

Thx Luv2fish I always used the rule of thumb of 7 to 10 days. 7 in the canyon up to 10 at the sanctuary.