Thread: Nostalga Is The Winner

Default Nostalga Is The Winner

From the out set I am biased toward the 30-06 for nostalgic reasons. Nostalgia weighs in on some of the opinions and that's ok. So let's begin by saying that the 308 is a fine cartridge and can hit targets far off and most of that depends on the shooter no matter which one of the two cartridges you are using.

With my Kimber 8400 Montana chambered in 30-06, I hit a coyote at 426yds (ranged shot) in a freshly plowed cotton field using a 165gr Game King HPBT. You can hit long shots with a 30-06 just as easy if not easier considering the flatter trajectory, less time getting to the target due to the velocities I was getting with that load moving a 3002fps. Is it a so flat that the 30-06 has an advantage over the 308? N0!!!!!!

When it comes to push and shove I can out run and hit harder than a 308 if I am hand-loading or using the light mag ammo. Big difference? NO!!!!! With the powders of today, the great bullet selection a person would be hard pressed to find a cartridge that is more versatile and provides more possibilities for hunting a wider range of game than the 30-06. Is the 30-06 more versatile than the 308? YES!!!

Guys like Page, Swank, Whelen, Waters did very well using the 30-06 and some of these men carried it and used it on big game in North America and Africa. Let's consider Hosea Sarber as an example, a Alaskan guide and warden, whom Jack O'Connor once said had killed more grizzlies than (Jack O'Connor) had ever seen using a 172gr bullet.

Also, there was Wendell Swank, a man who carried a 30-06 around East Africa collecting game specimen simply because it was the rifle most familiar to him. Oh, Swank did real good, taking the smaller animals with 150gr Sierra. But what was amazing was Dr. George Petrides who took just about everything from kob, wart hogs, and hartebeest, to lion, buffalo and hippos at ranges up to nearly 200yds. Not to mention Andy Russell, Myles Brown, Frank Golata, Alf Madsen, Jay Williams, Bill Rae and Bill Ruger are other men who have taken the 30-06 to Africa.

If it worked in Africa and in North America on big dangerous game then I am sure it has earned a place that the 308 will never occupy. Now add to that the new improved bullets and new powders that allows us to drive bullets out of the 30-06 at 300H&H levels.

In closing it was Stewart Edward White who said, "The 30-06 was as effective on lions as the big .405 Winchester." The 30-06 is like a good horse, that won't surprise you when the terrain and conditions change. The 30-06 is a very dependable, hard hitting, accurate cartridge that does not surprise you but just works hard and gets the job done. I like both the 30-06 and the 308 and what they are used for they are the best of the best, the most practical of the practical, the most used of the used in my opinion.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I think you are right, with just about every thing you posted. Only one problem with the .30-06 compared to the .308 WINNCHESTER. The 06 will never equal the accuracy of the .308. Composite targets from Lack City proved this over and over at the 600 yard test. The reason is the .308 shorter case has less banana like shape than the longer .30-06.

As to hunting with the .308, I'm sure far more game in Africa is killed using the SLR in 7.62 NATO than all the 30-06 ever killed. Simple reason for that is the 30-06 was never an issue rifle chambering in Africa. The .308 was and is still current issue. Remember the SLR in 7.62 NATO has been around Africa from the mid fifties on. I once watched a video of the game control department in some country dispatch a herd of elephant in seconds with an SLR. Dropped like rocks. So fast it was scary. All of the elephant were stuck in the mud and could not run.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Sounds like someone got a copy of Mr. Waters "Pet Loads". I consider the -06 the ultimate medium for the North American battery. Put it along side a .257 Bob. and the .375 H&H, and you have the perfect 3-gun combination.

Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    Sounds like someone got a copy of Mr. Waters "Pet Loads". I consider the -06 the ultimate medium for the North American battery. Put it along side a .257 Bob. and the .375 H&H, and you have the perfect 3-gun combination.
    I have a well thumbed copy of Pet Loads. I have all three calibers you mentioned, I just don't shoot the .257's that much anymore. Goodness knows how much I love the sweet ones in .257.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    Works for me, for sure. Everything else in my rack is pure entertainment.

Yea, years ago as a young man Waters got me going when I would read his articles and yes got his reloading stuff. That was a real fun time in my life exploring the world of reloading and cartridges. Still is fun
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

So when will the new rifle be done?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    So when will the new rifle be done?

Now that you have asked

I am sending my rifle off to my smith to put a B&C Metalist stock on my Mark V 30-06 replacing the plastic tupper-ware stock that came on it. I am having him do it because with Weatherby rifles he does a few things in the bedding and free-floating process that he has worked out over the years and my customs he has done are proof of it's success.

I will be having my Mark V 30-06 not only re-stocked but I will also be having Cera-Kote coating put on the receiver and barrel. Then this fall I will be sending my 300Wby to have the McMillian stock repainted in a green I like and the receiver, barrel and brake coated with Cera-Kote with Talley rings and bases as well as the bolt re-done to have the shinny ridges and darkened grooves like other Weatherby's.

I will shoot my all ready developed loads for my 30-06 and make any adjustments necessary when he sends it back to me which will be when I return from Tanzania in the middle of August.

I will also start work on the 240gr Woodleigh bullet for a heavy load for the 30-06 that I started some time back when working with my Kimber 8400 Montana. Using H4831sc I should be able to get some very respectable velocities out of the Mark V. I will use a new thread to record the additional load work for my 06 and pictures of the finished rifle.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A final note to my initial post:

I do not think in my limited opinion of 28yrs of hand loading the 30-06 that we have really seen it's potential in accuracy nor velocity with the new steel used in receivers and barrels, powders, primers, stronger brass and new bullet designs. I believe there will be a lot of discovery and a very long life left with the 30-06. I have experienced some discovery that has me really excited about the possibilities of the 30-06. It is one real enduring cartridge that is just a plain work horse and never lets up in it's possibility of improvement and it is far from giving up. Some call it obsolete but that is only because they don't really know the the 30-06 nor have they taken time to learn it's true nature. It will out live some of the new short cartridges and will continue in my opinion to please and amaze us with it's enduring potential. To put it plainly, even though they had an idea of what they wanted, I am not sure those who came up with the design of the 30-06 really knew in depth what they had finally created.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default So true.......

I have 2 Winchester 30-06 Featherweights. One is a wood stocked stainless "classic" and the other one is a true classic, a pre-64 Featherweight 30-06. I only hope the grandsons treasure them as I do. My first moose and caribou were taken in 1966 on the same day when I was 15. A Springfield 30-06 with a 4 power Weaver and a post reticle and 220 grain Silvertips were used.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I have 2 Winchester 30-06 Featherweights. One is a wood stocked stainless "classic" and the other one is a true classic, a pre-64 Featherweight 30-06. I only hope the grandsons treasure them as I do. My first moose and caribou were taken in 1966 on the same day when I was 15. A Springfield 30-06 with a 4 power Weaver and a post reticle and 220 grain Silvertips were used.
    Now that is true good "NOSTALGIA"!!!! A Springfield 30-06 with a 4 power Weaver and 220gr Silvertips!!!!! That is a memory and what a fine one at that. I love the old days and all I did when I was a younger man. I love today and all that I will still do with my love of shooting and hunting. Yes the next canyon, across the next stream, up the next ridge and over the top of that mountain, through the next swamp, as I walk between the tall trees feeling the gentle breeze of a cool day in October in search of another memory to share with my friends and keep until I die.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS