Thread: Kenai River Sockeyes

Default Kenai River Sockeyes

FLASH!!!!!!!!

A BIG SLUG OF SOCKEYES HIT THE MOUTH OF THE RIVER AT ABOUT 8:30 THIS EVENING (SATURDAY, JULY 19)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dick M

Then it would be a good idea to head to the russian in the AM?

Quote Originally Posted by KUMA View Post
    Then it would be a good idea to head to the russian in the AM?
    Fish take 7-10 days to reach the Russian from the mouth of the Kenai. Fish at the mouth today often means fish in Soldotna tomorrow, but definitely not the Russian.

Thanks for the info. I'll be planning for next week.

Had some buddies fish just downstream from Jims Landing yesterday evening and they limited in about an hour. They saw and were hooking into a huge school of fish holding in that slough to the right as your going down river about a couple hundred yards from the launch. Those fish will probably hit Russian in a few days if not sooner. A couple green heads were hooked into by them though but they still landed some nice fresh ones!

Default 2 questions...

If a push of reds comes into the river on Saturday evening; when would they hit the Sterling area and upstream of Bing's (past the Keys)?

Jim's Landing: is that area of the Kenai okay for motor boats?

Thanks,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    If a push of reds comes into the river on Saturday evening; when would they hit the Sterling area and upstream of Bing's (past the Keys)?

Jim's Landing: is that area of the Kenai okay for motor boats?
    Two to three days to reach the Bing's area, and no, the Jim's Landing area is on the Upper River, and is thus drift only.

Default sunday the 20th

I hung out at centennial park yesterday from about 1-3 after king fishing. Kings were slow for everybody in the morning. Reds were very slow on that part of the river all day. Very slow. Today I cruised around in the boat from the kenai/moose confluence to where funny river emptys into the kenai. Lots of folks fishing around the banks and we were on the water about 4 hours just boating around enjoying the blue bird morning. In that 4 hours I might have seen 50 fish hooked total. That area was slow today.

Oh and there were quite a few pinks jumping all over in the back eddy's and stuff all ready
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 07-20-2008 at 20:55. Reason: pinks
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Kenai sockeye run losing steam...

They roared in like a freight train last week, but it looks like there aren't near the number of cars behind that locomotive as we expected.

Only 17K went by on Sat.... cumulative count is only 209K and the goal is to put 750-950K past the counter.

OTF index was only 7 and 3 the past two days... few if any new fish arriving into the Central District of UCI.

Could be an interesting week.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

well I might as well chime in. Last week around wednesday I heard the Kenai was getting a huge number of reds so I slapped the 5th wheel on thursday morning and motored down. I'm guessing the 3 solid days of rain and the resulting extremely high water were the culprits to blame, but the fishing pretty much sucked on friday/saturday. People were catching fish but the number of fish caught compared to the number of people fishing seemed pretty low. Tried the dipnetting scene but that is another story entirely. Oh well, win some lose some