Thread: What bug dope????

Default What bug dope????

I'm looking for something besides my old reliable Ben's 100% DEET. It works but I'm getting tired of ruining gear with it or having to be so careful.
    Anyone found anything else that REALLY works?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I've never found anything that works that doesn't have some level of Deet in it. I just use the unscented Cutters and apply it more often. Seems to be just as effective, but for shorter lengths of time. Easier on plastics too.

Default Ultrathon lotion

I use Bens of course. Who doesn't. But when fly fishing, I worry about the strength of the Ben's eating the fly line/leader. I started using Ultrathon lotion on my last float trip. It worked great. But bugs were only moderate. I have not tested it in thick situations. But from what I saw, it is good stuff. Pricey, but a little goes a long way.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

eliminate the "off" smooth and dry, it wears off in less than 20 minutes. It is nice if you have a quick jod to do outside around the house cause you don't stink but for anything 20minutes or more it is a waste of $$

Bens also comes in wipes so you can put it on exactly where you want and you dont have to worry about overspray on sensitive gear...

Marlboro Lights work when everything else fails.

Red face deet

I looked into this including reading the medical study which found a soybean oil formula was mostly as effective as DEET. I was trying to find a safer more palatable alternative to DEET after years of eating the stuff off. Well Ill tell you, the 5% of mosquitos that the soybean oil formula lets through will make you miserable. Something 95% effective may as well be worthless as you still itch just as bad. I'm going back to DEET. Those new mosquito repellant thermacell are supposed to be effective, but I wont try them as I dont know how safe the ingredient is. Where ever you go I would bring a bug coat also....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Smile Good point...

"Marlboro Lights work when everything else fails."

Works better with bourbon. Wild Turkey Rare Breed is most effective.

As for the Therm-a-cells. They work. Only problem is when using in wind. Much less effective in the wind. But if it is calm out, they do work well. Very popular here in NC. After a few buddies of mine told me about it, I had to try it out. It actually worked. Big difference in floating around in a kayak fly fishing for largemouth half drunk in NC though. Not sure how effective they would be in Alaska. I suggest some Ultrathon on the hands and face and some Ben's 100% on the neck and ball cap. That works pretty good for me. Good thing about this set up is you have the effectiveness of the Bens, but not in the places where it normally eats sunglasses, watch bands, and makes lips numb. If that does not work, resort to Marlboro Lights and Wild Turkey.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Therm-a-cells do work up here in Alaska. I've used one on my last two caribou hunts. I used it under the dining tarp (that sounds fancier than it is) but it kept the bugs out from under it. I've been ouot when it was so bad you had to face into the wind to be able to pull your hea net up and get a bite of food. Only problem is the little battle of liquid fuel in it, can't take on a commercial flight.

Does ultrathon have Deet in it? I see recommendations for it ... is this due to it being a lotion and easier to control where you apply it?

Default Yes

It has 34% deet. It works well. I use it on hands and face. That is where the 100% deet (Ben's) is bad on eyes, lips, and it eats the plastic on watchbands and sunglasses. I spray the Ben's on ball cap, back of neck and on torso a bit. Use the Ultrathon on face and hands. Works great without the drawbacks of the 100% deet. Ultrathon is also better to have on your hands if fishing. The 100% will eat fly/fishing lines/leaders. The Ultrathon is much less likely to do this. Dries pretty good to, not greasy like some lotions. After a few minutes anyway. Below is a link.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___84830

Spray your clothing down with Sawyer's or Duranone. Sportsman's Warehouse has both.

They contain permithrin and kill the bugs once they land and it lasts for a couple of weeks even with a washing thrown in. You'll only have to use a tiny bit of DEET to exposed skin.

I usually apply DEET to back of my hand and wipe it on. That way it won't affect any plastics I touch if I can't wash or wipe it off my hands.
    Now what ?