Thread: last minute questions

Default last minute questions

Is there anything that you always have with you when fishing that most 48ers would'nt think of or bring? Should I bring a net? Was planning on picking up some hipboots when we get there, where would be a good place to find them, wal-mart?, sportsmans.? someplace else? I suppose I can buy my license and pick up a copy of the regs at wal-mart or any tackle shop, right?

Any gotsta do or see things for a first timer (fishing or not)?
    Sorry for the shotgun blast of Questions.
    Only 6 more days until we leave. We will be traveling and fishing along the peninsula and up the parks highway.

Thanks for any tips!

Wal-Mart and Sportsmans would both be fine for hip boots, license and regs. Are you flying into Anchorage? There is supposed to be a great local outdoors store down there, but the name escapes me.

The only unusual thing I can think of is something to bonk fish with and some utility shears to cut gills. I think salmon taste much better when they are bled immediately.

You might also consider some bear spray, but get that here, as well. The airlines won't let you fly with it. Apparently, the pilots get upset when it goes off in the air.

Thanks Greenhead, I would'nt of thought of a fish bonker. Thanks. We're flying into Anchorage. So you cut the gills out right after you catch a fish you are keeping. DO you do anything else after that or just put them on the stringer. Any special cleaning tricks?
    Thanks.

You don't cut the gills out, you just want to cut them to bleed them out.
    A good yank with your hands works too, when in a pinch.
    Also gut them when your finished fishing for the day, don't let them sit over night with their guts inside of them.

Default Stuff & places to get it

I would encourage you to stop in at B & J's in Anchorage and "Trustee's" (Turstworthy Hardware) Soldotna for some local color and all the fishing/outdoor stuff that you will need or want to load up into an RV. Both have the staff to help you make good choices. Usually there is a number of friendly local types willing to direct you to spots where the action is happening and that will help you select what has worked for them. Don't be reluctant to engage these locals in conversation, ask thier advice, as most of these guys are willing to help you have a fun trip and not break the bank doing it.

The weather has been cool here -- I suggest that you be prepared for chilly, wet weather.

Enjoy.

Thanks! Can you give me some general directions to B&J's in Anchorage> I have a city map So a street name would be great. Thanks

B&J's is on the corner of Northern Lights Blvd. and C Street. When you get to the building, the door is on the C St. side of the building to the left of KFC.

A net is optional. Nice to have in some difficult fish-landing situations, but not required. Plus, many places you go where nets might be needed, there are usually a plethora of nets. I've never denied or seen anyone deny a request to borrow my/their net.

Also, if I have free hands, I (and I'm sure most of us) am more than happy to net-assist you in landing your fish if you want it!

(Speaking of which, a *THANKS* to the guy at Jim's Landing yesterday who re-netted my already-netted fish trying to swim away while I was trying to unclip my bonker!)

Default pliers..

I would get a good pair of fishing pliers with a sheath. And some Ben's deet. A Kenai map perhaps. Good polarized sunglasses. You can get your license online. Search the ADFG site for sportfishing license. Print it out soon as you pay.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Buy...............

Buy chest waders NOT hip waders. It really sucks to get to some water that is JUST a little to high for hip waders. Cheap chest ones are not much more and you'll never have to worry bout water depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    Buy chest waders NOT hip waders. It really sucks to get to some water that is JUST a little to high for hip waders. Cheap chest ones are not much more and you'll never have to worry bout water depth.

Make sure to get a belt if you get the chest waders, just in case you go swimming unexpectedly.
    Been there, done that!!

I just came back from my first trip to AK. Here are a few things I learned: 1) Fishing equipment is about the same price in AK as everywhere else, if not cheaper. Especially for typical gear, Vibrax spinners, pixees etc.. better to buy when you get there, plus most places have a huge selection of AK specific gear (colors, sizes etc..). 2) Bring a lot of batteries for your dig camera and a disposable waterproof camera (for the times you don't want to expose the dig camera, missed a lot of rafting pics because of this). 3) Bring PLENTY of bug spray if you are visiting areas beyond the Kenai Peninsula or Anchorage areas. 4) Get food/drink at the Moose Tooth Brewery in Anchorage, great pizza and incredible beers. 5) Bring good rain gear, and at least a warm fleece, it can get damp and cold. 6) People in Alaska were nice, at the end of your trip give away all of your stuff that is a pain to pack or that you may not use in the future: bear spray, bug spray, local flies (don't use flesh flies too much where I'm from). 7) Have a healthy respect/be careful for bears, but don't be too paranoid, we ran into a bunch (brown & black) and had no problems.

Mike

Thanks to everybody for the tips.
    gladetop