Thread: Would it truley mater

Default Would it truley mater

Still some what new to reloading.
    I currently bought some Nosler Partitions, 180gr. 30-06 I have only two types of powder right now. Hodgen Varget and Accurate 3100.
    Also have some Hornady Speers. My question is, out of the manuals I looked at. I am never able to find the specific bullet but that I have but a bullet in the same weight I have. Can I not substitue the bullets I have with the ones from the manual since they are the same grainage?

Default developing loads

If you are planning to substatute a bullet of the same weight but of a different make you need to start at the lowest listed load and work up your loads. The may have the same weight but have a different lanth and may have a different bearing surface area. these can cause the load to have a higher or lower pressure. these pressure difference can be extrem. Work your loads up carfully.
    Train today to succeed tomarrow

US Army Miltary Police

Watch your speed ( Chronographs work great! )

You might like one of these books. They seem to have most if not all the data from the major bullet and powder manufacturers.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=207435

Quote Originally Posted by Ynggrasshopper View Post
    Still some what new to reloading.
    I currently bought some Nosler Partitions, 180gr. 30-06 I have only two types of powder right now. Hodgen Varget and Accurate 3100.
    Also have some Hornady Speers. My question is, out of the manuals I looked at. I am never able to find the specific bullet but that I have but a bullet in the same weight I have. Can I not substitue the bullets I have with the ones from the manual since they are the same grainage?

Try this site.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/rifle.asp
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Bravowhiskey summed it up. Start low, work up, you should be fine. Deviating in any form from a manual will cause slight variations (different cases, primers, etc.) Even the same components listed in a manual but a different lot# can cause variations. Different firearms, etc..... The manuals are meant to be a guide and they all say start low and work up. Nosler list AA3100 as their most accurate powder for the 180 Part in the -06. Take a visit to Hodgdon's website, plenty of load data. You can request a free manual from AA on their site.

You should be fine.

The rule always is to start low and work up no matter if yopu even using the same exact components. Always start low and work up. Each rifle is an individual so that is always a varying component.

Using solid metal bullets with conventional bullet data is where it is most important to start low.

If you are using barnes x bullets then look for barnes x bullet data.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".