Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking a bow on a flight???

Question Taking a bow on a flight???

I will be returning to Alaska soon and have some questions on bringing my bow back with me on Alaska Airline. I have a hard case, all my broadheads are in a safe package. Everything is secure. I know I have to open my case and have it inspected at the airport. I have been told that I then can lock the case using a TSA approved lock. Where to I find these? Is it worthwhile? Any other recommendations??? Any input is appreciated.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I've taken my bow to Africa and several trips to Arizona and have never had any problems. I use a SKS case with two built in locks and four latches. It has held up to air travel very well. I've never had any problems with TSA, run it through the x-ray machine, sometimes they open the case sometimes they don't.

If your not going out of security you can just put your own locks on after TSA looks at it. Ive got an SKB case. The last time I took my bow home they shattered one corner of it but it didn't hurt my bow. I took the case back to Sportsman's and they gave me a new one no questions aksed. Hope this helps.

Default US Mail

I have always mailed my bows/broadheads when ever I have traveled and I have not had a problem yet.

Smile

My SKB two bow case came with TSA locks installed on it. Made it very easy for the plane ride up to AK. Plus SKB insures the contents from damage, Not sure of the amount though.

Good luck

You can find the TSA locks at a lot of the sportsman stores or online. You don't always need them, you can use your own lock. I wait until they inspect it and give me the ok to leave and then there is never a problem. The seem to be really rough on the cases though. I will probably just fed-ex mine down to New Mexico for my elk hunt this year, it seems to be taken care of a little better. Also with the new airline bag restrictions it costs about the same.

Default Flying with your bow.

I flew out of Dutch Harbor to Montana with my bow packaged in a cardboard box. The bow arrived untouched. When I flew back, I bought a hard case and had no problems with it either. I checked the case with the rest of my luggage. I did have locks on it for the return trip. TSA didn't even look at the case.

I fly to tournamants two to three times a year. I don't even worry about locks anymore. I figure that if the TSA guy has keys so does any criminal baggage handler. An SKB case will work well. I have yet NOT have TSA open my case in over 10 trips, but they put everything back just as they found it.

Default Oop's

I had one bow shipped by mail from Fairbanks to Nulato in July that I finally recovered in October at a power company in Anchorage. Someone finally opened it and I had my name and address inside. How it got there..... and how the string got cut.... who knows.

I have had two hard cases broken on planes, one a cheap case with the hinge snapped right off.

So I bought a tougher case and the following year someone punched a hole in it. Fixable but maddening.

I always disassemble broadheads, wrap them singularly in a paper towel and insert into a pill bottle with a cap.

No sharp objects on the bow side.

Take two of you T-shirts and slide the bow into them as a protector and then strap it into the case. Socks over sights or vitals help.

Just plan on: If they can break it, they will.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Only traveled a couple of times, but...

What I did that might help is to put the bow case inside a larger bag. That way, even if they damage the case, breaking a hinge or latch that would otherwise allow the case to open during transport, it has the failsafe of the outer bag to keep things together. I also throw a few soft things in the bag with the case to pad the sides, so it is not easy to get something hard directly into the side of the case where it is more vulnerable. An additional benefit is that the bag with the bow case inside doesn't look to inviting to theives. A bow case is similar to a rifle case and probably shows dollar signs to those who are prone to having sticky fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by letshunt View Post
    I will probably just fed-ex mine down to New Mexico for my elk hunt this year, it seems to be taken care of a little better. Also with the new airline bag restrictions it costs about the same.
    I just got back from FedEx and they wanted $175 to ship

I went to Lowes and picked up a set of TSA locks for $7.97. I think I will try the airlines...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default good old US Mail

I mailed a 18 lb case from the east coast to Anchorage W/ $1200.00 ins. for a total of $44.00.

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    I mailed a 18 lb case from the east coast to Anchorage W/ $1200.00 ins. for a total of $44.00.
    I found USPS far far cheaper than FedEx. I brought the bow on Alaska Airlines for $25. Got here in perfect condition! Thanks Alaska Air.

I have taken mine as baggage. I used it like a suitcase and packed clothes around the bow to cushion it.

Default Camoflage that case....

To all you folks that travel w/ gun and/or bow, I've found the key is to hide the case in plain sight.....A golfer's travel case or even better is the Nalpak Tuffcase. see here: http://www.tuffpak.com/retail/default.asp

These types of cases are less "offensive" to the granola eatin tree hugger crowd you'll find in the terminal and less intriguing to the gorilla's at the back luggage loading area...

I agree with Daveinthebush, no matter what case you buy it will get beat the F**&&* up!!! So i say get the best case you can afford to protect yourselves, and you guys traveling with plastic cases boy are you taking a huge chance!!!!!!! I did that once and they split my case and broke the hinges had to buy new case when i got there... In my travels to your land alaskan airlines is the way to travel cause they bend for hunters and don't charge an arm and a leg to get extra stuff on!! just my kudo's to them!! but!!! I travel with metal hard case and it has been put through the wringer case is just about shot!! I'm still looking for the case that will withstand baggage handlers!! I don't really blame them its not a lot of time they have to empty planes and fill them, just wish airlines gave them more time me thinks this would stop damaged luggage.....and with weight restrictions "O my god" i'm not sure it is cheaper to ship now...for me having relatives here in AK i'm know going to ship enough camo gear and hunting gear to leave in AK including a bow so it is easier to travel all I will have to do is get home my meat and antlers..... cases i'm looking at are new roto by skb, starlite cases and storm cases!!!

Thank God for 3-piece takedown bows. Fits nicely inside of a small duffle bag with a small tube of arrows right next to it. I generally ship the meat home by FedEx overnite... kind of expensive, but I've never lost any due to spoilage. Good luck!

Default Case

I have used a Cabelas bullet proof aluminum case for about 5 years now and think it is the best case out there. Take my bow on Alaska Airlines at least 6-7 times a year with no problems. A bow is not considered a firearm, so they don't have to open it and there isn't any extra paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by cohlp View Post
    A bow is not considered a firearm, so they don't have to open it and there isn't any extra paperwork.
    If it is locked, they will open it and cut your lock off. 100% of the gun and bow cases I have seen have been opened and tested...the TSA agents I have seen and talked with check EVERY bag that comes through where we check our stuff.

BTW, Alaska Airlines treated my case (from the appearance when I picked it up) as if it was important to me and it was in excellent shape. Thank you Alaska Air, keep up the good work!

So for those of you who have checked your bow case in with TSA, do they let you tape the case shut after inspection? I have a cheap, hard sided plastic case and I don't trust the 4 snaps to hold the case shut during transport. Thus, I'd like to wrap it shut with duct tape, if allowed. Other than putting a lock around the handle, there is no place to lock it shut. I plan on packing plenty of gear around the bow inside the case, but can just envision the case popping open during rough handling and having my gear go flying everywhere. Broadhead are all disassembled and packaged in safe containers.

Am off to Kauai in 8 days to chase feral goats and pigs, can't wait

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast