Thread: Bow Sight Question in AK???

Default Bow Sight Question in AK???

While taking a trip to America I found a great buy on a new (used) bow that is fully equipped. It has a Trophy Ridge sight that has the ability to put add NITRO LIGHT, I gather a liquid into it that will allow the fiber sight pins to glow brighter. Is this legal in Alaska? How long does the stuff last? As it is these sights are fairly dull and hard to see the pins with my old eyes...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I have the TR Matrix GS and I love these sights but you are right, they don't gather light well. I would not use the Nitro lights as they are crap. Try this link below as it works much better.

http://www.g5outdoors.com/#sec_rheostat
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

Quote Originally Posted by Backcuntry View Post
    I have the TR Matrix GS and I love these sights but you are right, they don't gather light well. I would not use the Nitro lights as they are crap. Try this link below as it works much better.

http://www.g5outdoors.com/#sec_rheostat
    Reading our Alaska regulations it seems clear that this option is illegal as it uses an electronic light I could not figure out if a *chemical* light is considered the same
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default That's not exactly accurate!

Here is what the rules say verbatim as obtained from the website.

"For all BIG game, you may:

NOT hunt big game with a long bow, recurve bow, or compound bow unless the bow is at least:
    40 pounds peak draw weight when hunting black-tailed deer, wolf, wolverine, black bear, Dall sheep, and caribou;
    50 pounds peak draw weight when hunting mountain goat, moose, elk, brown/grizzly bear, musk ox, and bison;
    only use arrows tipped with a broadhead and is at least 20 inches in overall length and 300 grains in total weight
    only use broadhead that is:
    a fixed, replaceable or mechanical/retractable blade type broadhead when taking of black-tailed deer, wolf, wolverine, black bear, Dall sheep and caribou;
    a fixed or replaceable blade type broadhead for the taking of mountain goat, moose, elk, brown/grizzly bear, musk ox and bison; and
    not barbed.
    NOT use electronic devices or light attached to the bow, arrow, or arrowhead with the exception of a non-illuminating camera.
    NOT use scopes or other devices attached to the bow or arrow for optical enhancement.
    NOT use any mechanical device that anchors a nocked arrow at full or partial draw unaided by the bowhunter."

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...ons.bowhunting

My interpretation of the rule that is underlined is that they don't want any electronic game calls or lights that would shine upon the game itself. That's a problem in every state that I have ever hunted in. Having a light to enhance my sights that isn't shining on game is in keeping with my impressions of the rule. However that's my interpretation which really doesn't matter because the game warden may see it differently. Honestly, I use one and won't stop but I have yet to be seen by a game warden, nor have I thought to pose this question to them either. Has anyone else come across this?

Quote Originally Posted by Backcuntry View Post
    NOT use electronic devices or light attached to the bow, arrow, or arrowhead with the exception of a non-illuminating camera.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...ons.bowhunting

My interpretation of the rule that is underlined is that they don't want any electronic game calls or lights that would shine upon the game itself.
    This stuff only illuminates the sight pin. As I understand it, it just makes all the *pins* bright. It does not work like a laser pointer. So, I still am not sure if it is legal or not.

i would just use it nobodys gonna check your pin. Now they will cause you mentioned it.

Roger the way this thing works is that it screws into the base of the site and when you turn it on it shines across the exposed fiber ends which in turn lights up all fibers. The way mine is, it wouldn't even shine in the direction of the game. That's why I think nobody would have a problem with it. In fact, unless you took my bow and specifically looked for it you probably wouldn't notice that it is even there.

I think the intent of the law was that we don't start strapping electronic calls to your bows or flashlights in a effort to get game closer of take a shot when the light conditions would naturally prohibit us from doing so with taking some unnecessary risks. As far the the camera flash goes, well that goes back to the whole not molesting the animals things (and no my mind isn't in the gutter...I laughed when I first heard that term used as well).

Default Call ADFG

Your best bet is to either call ADFG or go down there and ask them. I found that they are usually more than happy to help out with translating the Regulations.

Default sight

i do not know the answer to the question, i do not use a illuminated sight, but in my opinion the line below the underlined ("NOT use scopes or other devices attached to the bow or arrow for optical enhancement." ) would rule it out as it is enhancing your optical performance.

How many times do people try to read into the regulations. The common sense rule applies. Electronic = a power source...Do you put batteries in it...if you do , your wrong. Read the easy rule...optical enhancement. If it makes it brighter other than gathering the obvious light from outside, your wrong. If you put a chemical on your pins you are enhancing the optic which means your wrong. If you hold a flashlight on your pins in the dark to make them brighter are you right, no your enhancing your optics.

Maybe I had the chemical part wrong, thought I read liquid and all that other jazz. In the one post that says you turn it on, just hearing that would send a red flag up, you have to turn it on. Is it solar powered ? Not trying to be an ass just curious on what this sight is, any links to this site?

OK OK OK, I saw the link for the lights......YOU ARE WRONG...It is a electronic device used to enhance your optics. You are wrong on both rules.....

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechshooter View Post
    Maybe I had the chemical part wrong, thought I read liquid and all that other jazz. In the one post that says you turn it on, just hearing that would send a red flag up, you have to turn it on. Is it solar powered ? Not trying to be an ass just curious on what this sight is, any links to this site?
    Bowtechshooter,

There is a picture of at the below link. I tried one. For one year and was not that impressed. It brightens the pins using a small chemical light that is placed where the round black rubber piece that is located at the lower right of the sight window. These chemical lights are just smaller made for the sight. They are not electronic, just snap the capsule and they glow, much like what the military use. This was too much hassle and I didn't like the vertical pin placement.

Not sure on the interpretation of the regulations regarding this type of site. I just always figured if I could not see my fiber optic sight it was to dark to shoot. A good fiber optic sight works great even in low light conditions.

http://www.above-timberline.com/trop...e%20sights.htm

just my 2 cents.

I gotcha....a chemlight as us military folk say..Totally legal. I really appreciate the clarification. The link that is in the beginning part of the thread is a link to a battery operated LED light which is what I went off of, which is electronic. Thanks again for the better explaination....

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechshooter View Post
    I gotcha....a chemlight as us military folk say..Totally legal. I really appreciate the clarification. The link that is in the beginning part of the thread is a link to a battery operated LED light which is what I went off of, which is electronic. Thanks again for the better explaination....
    I you want to split hairs like that then explain how your statement fits this..."NOT use scopes or other devices attached to the bow or arrow for optical enhancement."