Thread: Remington replaced my stock prety darn quick

Default Remington replaced my stock prety darn quick

Remington (Daniel at customer service) sent a brand new stock for my M-700 Titanium Mountain rifle and it is already here. That is some quick customer service.

They gave me an option of going to a better HS Prec. stock. But I stayed with the original style which is a lightweight Beel and Carlson, since I did not want to buy a floorplate section.

Now I just have to wait for my new trigger to show up...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

To bad they didn't offer an ADL in the HS stock. Are you going to do a skim coat bedding job (on the action) on the new stock?

I know you have to be feeling better now that you have the new stock in hand.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I am debating on what to do as far as bedding. Maybe I will see how she shoots first.

Here is a photo of the bedded area of the old stock and the new one. You can see that I closed up a olt of slop around the recoil lug.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forgive my absolute ignorance, and not trying to hijack. Is it always necessary to bed a rifle. If I buy a rifle new and it shoots well, is bedding still a good idea? I can move to a new thread if you like....

Is it always necessary to bed a rifle
    No. I had to try all sorts of things back when I first purchased this one particular rifle because it had HORRIBLE groups out of the box. No matter what type of factory load or handload I tried. Byt it may have always been that stock. So I will see how this new stock does as-is before I try any other mods.

In short, no. If a rifle shoots good, no need to bed IMO. If you want to give it a try, start with your poorest shooter. Bedding can do wonders on a poor shooter than was not bedded right from the factory. It can also add strength and/or stability, especially in critical areas for rifles with sizable recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    No. I had to try all sorts of things back when I first purchased this one particular rifle because it had HORRIBLE groups out of the box. No matter what type of factory load or handload I tried. Byt it may have always been that stock. So I will see how this new stock does as-is before I try any other mods.

Insure that the bottom of the recoil lug does not touch the bottom of the recoil lug recess. Take some white cream (wife's cold cream works well) paint some on the bottom of the lug. place barreled action back in the stock, screw action down tight. Remove and look for the white in the bottom of the stock recoil lug recess. You see any white, remove the material and try again. YOU DO NOT WANT A HIGH SPOT IN THIS AREA.

If you decide to skim bed the stock, use Marine-Tex.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Thats great that they got that stock to you. Says a lot for Remington helping those that have problems with their products.