Thread: Looking for a Lab

Default Looking for a Lab

I'm looking for a good lab to have as a pet and a hunting dog. I'm in Fairbanks and have been having a hard time finding any up here. I've searched the ADN classifieds and have found a bunch down there including L-N-R Kennels. They have some good looking dogs and I was wondering if anybody had any information or dealings with the kennel and their dogs?

Default labs

you are probably looking for a local dog, but I will have some of his pups available soon. www.labstud.com

Quote Originally Posted by fshslyr View Post
    I'm looking for a good lab to have as a pet and a hunting dog. I'm in Fairbanks and have been having a hard time finding any up here. I've searched the ADN classifieds and have found a bunch down there including L-N-R Kennels. They have some good looking dogs and I was wondering if anybody had any information or dealings with the kennel and their dogs?
    Seems like there are always some in the paper to me. I got mine at the shelter he is 11 years old now, I will be getting another one some day.
    He is a good hunting dog for me.
    Tim

Just had puppies a few weeks ago and are I beleive almost ready to go. They are located in Delta. I own the stud and the ***** is on site in Delta. All yellows and both AKC. Please give me a call if interested. 590-2270

I guess I should have been a little more specific in my first post. I'm looking for a black lab.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Dog clubs best bet for reliable hunting dogs.

If your only going to have one hunting dog I feel the best place to find a good Lab is through one of the dog clubs. I dont know L-N-R. They may be in a working retriever club.I think its important that the breeders work the dogs and participate in at least some orgainized santioned trials or picnic trials.

If you check with the Alaska Dog News www.alaskadognews.com I have the PDF of just the calendar online to download or look at. All the contact info for the Southcentral retriever clubs is there. Depending on what kind of internet speed you have the entire newsletter may be too large for you to open so that is why the calendar is up separatly, a smaller file.

I have two rescued shelter labs and while I love them it is worth the money to know the pedigree and title history. We still have our reliable pedigreed field dog for reliable hunting. With the clubs you may find a started dog as well, ready to go this fall. The price for a started dog may scare you but to get a dog from puppy to 1-2 year old, with a conditioned retrieve, obedience trained, and experience hunting is priceless.

I have a 4 month old male pup that was recently the test dog for a HRC Started Test. He has had basic obedience and retriever training. His sire and dam have all the necessary health clearances for a labrador retriever.
    PM me for more details. Ooops, sorry. He is yellow.
    He is not steady to shot, but might be by hunting season. Other than that, he would make a great hunting companion this fall.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default 4 month old not steady to shot ?

Yikes , 16 weeks old and not steady ? He should not be for a long time. I know the HRC started tests are about equal to a Trial clubs puppy test. You can restrain the dog and, if I recall, they only have to deliver the bird in general area of the handler.

There is so much more to do before you get a reliable hunting companion for this Fall and a lot to expect from a 6 or 7 month old. I've seen it tried, guys that didn't listen and watched their dog take a duck to an island and eat it. Another guy that kept making his 4 -5 month old sit and stay for a shot bird. Its nuts and can ruin a dog's drive. The first year should be ground work, keeping the enthusiasm getting into a controlled retrieve delivery to hand (force fetch, programmed retrieve) at about 7-9 months, after the adult teeth are in. Without the ground work you will most likely have an unrealiable hunting companion and no way to force a retrieve or delivery. Obedience work is primarily important now with retrieving all fun until he's old enough.

Default I have Lab Pups

Hi there-

I have a litter of Registered Lab pups, just over 7 weeks now; several have yet to be placed.
    They are out of top hunting and field trial lines.
    If you're interested, give me a call-

907-688-6608

PS These pups are yellow with a reddish-brown tinge. This tint is commonly called "Fox Red."

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    I know the HRC started tests are about equal to a Trial clubs puppy test.
    The land marks were 40 and 65 yds. The longer one was through heavy cover. The water marks were 40 and 60 yds. Big open water swims.
    I did hold his collar to steady him.

We would love to have you come up for our HRC tests.

This puppy has alot of drive and I actally started working on his steadiness about a month ago. His drive has not deteriorated. I am not a newcomer to dog training and realize that the pup would have short comings if used this fall. I also know that he could go hunting and pick up downed birds.

I apologize if I overstepped appropriateness on this board by offering this pup for sale.
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default Good pup- where were the HRC tests?

He sounds like a great enthusastic pup to swim out 60 yards without a "Hup" for help. I am not new to this either having trained with old timers like Gonia, Shoemaker, Carlson, DeVos, Lardy, and several others since 1983. What I started seeing in the late 90's was forced 5 month old puppies & 6-8 month olds handling at field trial fun tests. I don't like that forced time table anymore. I wasn't having fun either. When I got mad at the dog I knew it was time to rethink my training methods and expectations. I think it's fine to have expectiations and goals for training but its setting the dog up for failure to expect an adult performance so young.

I can agree though that some dogs can be restrained and forced to steady very early and not miss a bit of enthusiasm. I had a Snakeeyes grand-daughter that could have been steadied at 12 weeks and still perform like a rocket. It still needs to be fun,fun,fun for now.
    Where were the HRC tests? Can you send me info.

www.alaskadognews.com

Linda,
    Check your PMs.
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Where were the HRC tests? Can you send me info.

Linda,
    The HRC tests were in Fairbanks / North Pole with the Interior Alaska Gun Dog Association. LFL was judging our started level which is similar in level with the AKC Junior test. We hold HRC events each year in North Pole, attached is a link of the web site and feel free to contact me for more information. We greatly enjoy participation from other areas. We had the privilige of having Andy and "Boo" who will soon to be the all time high point dog for HRC at our last event. "Boo" needs only 10 points to catch the current leader and she was headed to another test when they left the state. The current high point dog has been retired so it should just be a matter of time. It was a real treat to watch that partnership work. Attached are a couple of pictures of Boo as well.

http://www.iagda.org/