Thread: Bear Dogs

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Bear Dogs

I have some questions about testing temperament for bear warning/hunting dog. I don’t know anything about big game, I competed in field trials and hunted with Labradors for 30 years.

Two months ago I picked up a dog at the shelter that I thought was a Labrador.He had a long rap sheet of "at large" offences and spent a lot of time and miles outside. After a few weeks of work I am sure he is not a Labrador but a mix of hound, mastiff, and possibly Lab. He has no retrieving desire at all. He is couragous but maliable. He is recently neutered, 80 lbs., well built with a strong front and slender back.

He trains really well in basic obedience with a somewhat laid back disposition until something furry walks by. He ground scents like mad, high chase drive for the cat, wildly tracked a rabbit trail I laid with a fresh pelt.

If I wanted to cultivate hunting larger game with this dog or as a warning dog what would I do?

Here is Bailey http://alaskadognews.com/bailey2008.aspx
    I needed the head halter for a couple of weeks while I tried to figure out what his motivations were. He is off the head halter now and training with the e-collar with some work still to do.

I am the publisher for a new pub. Alaska Dog News www.alaskadognews.com I would like to get more dog hunting (all kinds of hunting) articles in the publication. The publication is for the general dog owning population and focused on Southcentral now but we are planning to expand. If you have any ideas or suggestions I’d appreciate it.

Do a web search for Karelian Bear Dog.

Default I think he's mostly lab

he's a good looking dog & I'd bet he's mostly lab. lots of labs don't have a overly strong drive to retrieve. have you tried him on dead birds - might help the desire. I've had 2 without the drive to retrieve that my others had. maybe play ball, but mostly not. birds were another story, however & both were extremly birdy & loved to fetch dead birds.
    I'd make sure he was well trained obedience wise before I purposely exposed him to large game animals. and remember if he's near a bear and comes when called, it might result in a pretty undesirable situation. you'll need to be prepared to offer protection for both of you.
    Gary

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Mostly Lab and birdy surprise

I may have to head back to the gun dog forum on this dog. I walk him separatly from the female dogs right now. He and the greyhound/great dane want to play/fight to hard and Im still working on recall with him. Yesterday as we walked along our long drive and backroad, he stopped tail up, ears up, tail cracked left and he flushed two spruce hens. My face hurts from grinning for 24 hours. I had him on a long line , encouraged him to "hunt'em up" and let him track them and jump them a few times in the thick brush and trees. He got lots of "good boys". Then he scented up the tree were the birds were perched!!! It took a year before our Field bred lab figured that out. She was used to field trial training waiting for someone to throw something and scenting only the ground. I need to get some pigeons this week!!! Then get into force fetch. Thanks for the info.
    I wouldn't be the one to take him bear hunting anyway- I sweat just thinking about it.