Thread: What looks like a Lab is not a Lab

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default What looks like a Lab is not a Lab

After 5 weeks of retraining we have come to the conclusion that Bailey is not a Lab at all. He looks like one but acts and sounds and drools like a hound. He put on a fierce trail after a rabbit pelt I laid out and still wants to kill the cat.

I think he is hound, mastiff/bull, with some lab and other stuff mixed in. Animal Control found him initially at mile 13 on KGB when he was 12 weeks. A busy mutt breeding ground.

I'll have to post over at the bear hunting forum to see what I can find there. I dont know anything about big game and leave that up to the guys. I'll cook it but dont really want to hunt something that may eat me first.

www.alaskadognews.com

Default DNA testing

If you are interested, they now have a DNA test that supposedly can detect the breed of dogs you have mixed together. A friend told me about it and then I read something...
    No idea of cost, I think you can get it at your vet.

Linda, I sent you a PM. You can get those DNA tests online.

http://www.whatsmydog.com/

http://www.dog-dna.com/

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Bailey's birdy surprise & DNA test doubts.

I walk him separatly from the female dogs right now. He and the greyhound/great dane want to play/fight to hard and I'm still working on recall with him. Yesterday as we walked along our long drive and backroad, he stopped tail up, ears up, tail cracked left and he flushed two spruce hens. He looked 100% lab then.
    My face hurts from grinning for 24 hours. I had him on a long line , encouraged him to "hunt'em up" and let him track them and jump them a few times in the thick brush and trees. He got lots of "good boys". Then he scented up the tree where the birds were perched!!! It took a year before our Field bred lab trained in pastures and mowed fields figured that out. She was used to field trial training waiting for someone to throw something and scenting only the ground. I need to get some pigeons this week!!! Then get into force fetch. This should be fun :-( with a full grown 80 lb dog. I have a bench and post set up already.

I'm not convinced about the validity of the DNA tests. I checked into them for an article but hit a dead end. The vets I talked to will gladly do it. $$$ Some require a blood sample. Some just a swab. The responses I got back from two companies were form letters or canned responses from customer service and did not make me open my wallet. I think it might be a "fun" thing to do but not very sound. I came to the conclusion that a skilled breeder, trainer, judge, could probably give a better assesment of breed mix by temperment, desires, motivations, and conformation.

Thanks for the suggestions.