Thread: New here, ....howdie everyone!

Default New here, ....howdie everyone!

Hello all. I have a "story" that has bothered me for a while. My father has told me for years that when he shot a .308 next to a .270 Win that the difference was like night and day with the .270 out performing the .308, especially in the trajectory category. Well......my dad re-barreled that old 721 .270 to a 30/06. To this day he thinks of the .308 as "pleasing on paper only" type of cartridge. What is funny is how he likes the .358, .243, and other .308 siblings, but still despises the .308. I want to buy a Tikka Hunter in .338 Federal, but i am starting to wonder if i should look into a .338/06. So, cutting to the chase, is the velocity difference and all statistics accurate concerning the .308 vs the /06, and .338 vs the .338/06? Do the shorter cartridges only lack 100-200 fps slower that their bigger brothers? Or are the differences in the field much more profound?

Quote Originally Posted by Krupp View Post
    Hello all. I have a "story" that has bothered me for a while. My father has told me for years that when he shot a .308 next to a .270 Win that the difference was like night and day with the .270 out performing the .308, especially in the trajectory category. Well......my dad re-barreled that old 721 .270 to a 30/06. To this day he thinks of the .308 as "pleasing on paper only" type of cartridge. What is funny is how he likes the .358, .243, and other .308 siblings, but still despises the .308. I want to buy a Tikka Hunter in .338 Federal, but i am starting to wonder if i should look into a .338/06. So, cutting to the chase, is the velocity difference and all statistics accurate concerning the .308 vs the /06, and .338 vs the .338/06? Do the shorter cartridges only lack 100-200 fps slower that their bigger brothers? Or are the differences in the field much more profound?
    Welcome to the fray. You did not tell us where you are in the country nor do you tell us what kind of hunting you intend to do with the .338/06? What kind of distances you shoot game from? That information would be a help.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Howdy Krupp, My Uncle in PA used a 308 all his life and killed a lot of whitetail with it. All one shot kills as far as I know. He was an outstanding hunter.

Like Big Al said, it would be good to know what kind of hunting you do. Here in Montana, I would use something more than a 270 for elk although a lot of elk have been shot with a 243, you have to get close and pick your shot which is not always poosible. Good hunting.

Default .308....

Has killed everything from field mice to effelents! Probably has killed more African game than you might imagine, especially if you consider that the warloards turn their fellers loose on the wildlife with 7.62 chambered machine guns to feed themselves.
    Not likely you'll ever convince your Dad. Give one a try, and if you like it, enjoy it! If ya don't, they're not that tough to turn and get something else.
    By the way, Welcome Aboard!

Oops, i guess i did leave out some essential info. I live in northern California. The country is EXTREMELY rugged and steep with lots of long range shots available. I have killed around 2 dozen deer (Columbian Blacktail west of I-5, some blacktail mulie crosses east of I-5 near Lassen), around 6 wild hogs, and am trying to fill my bear tag for the first time. I shoot long range very well. But................i'll admit that even in this open country all but 2 of my shots were under 150 yrds. I killed a nice 3x2 a few years back at just under 300 yrds with my 300 Win mag, but most of my kills have been closer. I have always wanted a larger bore rifle. I currently shoot a .243 and a very nice .270. I am really like both rifles and have not lost any game with either, but im a gun nut and i want a bigger bore rifle able to dispatch up to 300 yrds.
    I looked at the 338 Federal and was happy to see it arrive (outside the old .338/08 wildcat....same thing). I called my dealer and ordered a Tikka Hunter in the 338 Federal and plan on topping it with a 2x7 Leupold. Then i started looking up stuff about the .338/06 and i like it as well. I handload, so im looking forward to working up loads for both. I do like short action bolt guns and really wished Remington would chamber the model 7 in this cartridge. But i have read nothing but good about the Tikka. So i am probably gonna get the .338 federal in the Tikka and closet my 270 for a year and try to kill a buck and a bear with my new rifle. P.S. I hope i didnt come accross cocky with the long range comment. I didn't mean it like that. I have shot long range alot and i firmly believe that once you get to know your rifle and understand wind and proper shooting form, that shots 300 to 500 yards are definetly makeable, but i practice at these ranges alot and have alot of fun doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupp View Post
    Oops, i guess i did leave out some essential info. I live in northern California. The country is EXTREMELY rugged and steep with lots of long range shots available. I have killed around 2 dozen deer (Columbian Blacktail west of I-5, some blacktail mulie crosses east of I-5 near Lassen), around 6 wild hogs, and am trying to fill my bear tag for the first time. I shoot long range very well. But................i'll admit that even in this open country all but 2 of my shots were under 150 yrds. I killed a nice 3x2 a few years back at just under 300 yrds with my 300 Win mag, but most of my kills have been closer. I have always wanted a larger bore rifle. I currently shoot a .243 and a very nice .270. I am really like both rifles and have not lost any game with either, but im a gun nut and i want a bigger bore rifle able to dispatch up to 300 yrds.
    I looked at the 338 Federal and was happy to see it arrive (outside the old .338/08 wildcat....same thing). I called my dealer and ordered a Tikka Hunter in the 338 Federal and plan on topping it with a 2x7 Leupold. Then i started looking up stuff about the .338/06 and i like it as well. I handload, so im looking forward to working up loads for both. I do like short action bolt guns and really wished Remington would chamber the model 7 in this cartridge. But i have read nothing but good about the Tikka. So i am probably gonna get the .338 federal in the Tikka and closet my 270 for a year and try to kill a buck and a bear with my new rifle. P.S. I hope i didnt come accross cocky with the long range comment. I didn't mean it like that. I have shot long range alot and i firmly believe that once you get to know your rifle and understand wind and proper shooting form, that shots 300 to 500 yards are definetly makeable, but i practice at these ranges alot and have alot of fun doing it.

You came accross just fine

.338/06 will do just fine. I would (if asked what I would have picked) I would suggest a great killing long range pro, easy on the wallet, capable of fine long range accuracy. A hundred year reputation all over the world. The 6.5X55mm. or the 6.5/.284. But that's just me. You will like the .338/06 and be vary happy with it. I know a couple of young fellows in Russian Mission that kill and awful lot of moose ever year with their .308 Winchesters With factory loads and have not one complaint.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Welcome Krupp, glad to have you on the forum. The 308 and 338-06 are fine cartridges. Once again, Welcome.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Well, i went to my gun shop today and put a VERY sweet rifle on lay-a-way. I have never held or seriously looked at this rifle before, probably due to the price, but once i held it and saw the clean lines and wonderful action i had to have it. Kimber 84 Classic in .338 Federal. As far as long range guns go, i have 2 that fill the bill.....what i was after was a nice....bigger bore rifle to take medium to large game with at moderate distances. After chatting with a good friend of mine i settled on the 338 Federal. I'm so excited about this Kimber rifle i can't wait to shoot it. Factory trigger is so nice and the barrel is of match quality, great bedding, clean lines, controlled round feeding, mauser action....i just can't wait! It might be an 8400 model....im not sure what the difference is, but man is it ever light! I am in love~

I have only used the 308 on the game the size of moose so maybe the lack of power is noticed when hunting elephant or wooly mammoth.

I think the 308 winchester is a great game cartridge. Every bit as useful as a 30-06. If some ones favorite bullet was 220 grain 30 cal then I would pick the 30-06 rather than the 308 because the bullet goes to far into the case. INHO.

For 180 grain bullets and under the 308 does it just fine.

I was looking for a 308 but ended up buying a 30-06 because the price was right. Since I see the 308 and 30-06 as near identical I got the 06.

The 338 federal is an easy 400 yard rifle in my eyes and since I prefer to not shoot farther than that I see nothing lacking in it either.

Maybe a 215 barnes ttsx if you shoot a lot of moose or bears and a 185ttsx if you dont. A 200 ballistic tip would do well in this cartridge too I would think.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Thanks for the comments guys. I have just spent hours reading .308 vs 30/06.........whew, what a marry-go-round. i have been pre-programmed by my father that the 308 shoots like a rainbow, and that it might be close to the 06 in muzzle velocity, but it just wont shoot with the 06....PERIOD. I then asked my dad how the bullet knows that it came out of an 06 or a 308? I mean, 2850 for the 308 and 2910 for the 06 is so close that No game will ever know the difference. He got that "im the dad and im right " look on his face...LOL. So, i asked him what kind of rifle he tested when he chose his old 721 .270 over that rainbow shooting 308 he despised. He said a Winchester model 88. I was sure i had found the answer.....20" or shorter barrel and tubular fed. Well, i googled one and found that they are magazine fed and had 22" barrels. So....even though i have put a deposit down on my 338 Federal Kimber model 84, i almost want to buy a .308 now and see if i can shoot with his old 721 which he re-barreled to 30/06 with a 24" Douglass premium barrel. He shoots 150 Hornady and 150 Sierra GK BT over 51.6 gr of 4895. I think instead ill try to outshoot him with the 180 Nosler Accubond factory load for my 338 Federal. When i mean outshoot, i mean in trajectory at distances of 500 yrds and such, and in groups as well. I may have to hold a little higher than him, but we'll just have to wait and see. His old 06 is a tack driver. I personally have shot 1/2 inch groups off the hood of my truck and a few pillows with both handloads and Winchester power-points. I hope this Kimber is up to the task. P.S., R Miller, love the line from "The Unforgiven" under your avatar, one of the best movies of all time.

Hello Krupp
    Do yourself a favor and buy some "snap caps" for that kimber then go to the dealer and cycle the action a few times. Make sure those rounds feed properly. Then inspect them carefully. And do it before you buy it.

Also be sure to ask the dealer what his policy is on handling recently purchased firearms that need to be sent back to the manufacture for repair - will he pay for the shipping? Kimbers manufacturing plant is located in Yonkers NY.

I have an 84M in .308 and it is a tack driver. But I had to send it back to kimber twice. I am not alone on this forum search "kimber" and get educated on the product. This forum is loaded with great intelligence so take advantage of it.

Not trying to scare you - but those guns are not only expensive and but notorious for "out of the box" trouble. However when they work they are very nice shooting guns.

Best